Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Officers\' Match Model vs. K22

I tried for a year, without luck, to find a good Colt .22 to add to the other Colt revolvers & pistols I've accumulated, but three weeks ago settled for a M17-5 K22 Masterpiece.

Today, I find a .22 OMM in truely superb condition for $400, no box. This gun has a target trigger shoe mounted, but otherwise appears original.

For me to get this Colt I would have to sell the K22 which is no problem because I called a friend & he'll give me what I paid for it. The big question is will the OMM be a worthy replacement for the S&W? The Colt's SN is 853XX , maybe another X, can't remember, so maybe someone can date it's birth. Does the trigger shoe hurt it's value? It looks removable.
Thanks

·
Registered
516 Posts
Re: Officers\' Match Model vs. K22

You really ought to try and find a way to keep both of them. I know this is easy to say, but you can't have too many .22's, and both of the ones you're discussing are true classics, and they aren't making anymore of them.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

I agree with BB, find a way to keep both, you can always do without some other gun later, but now get the OMM. It was made in 1967. As long as a gorilla didn't torque down that trigger shoe, it should have no affect on value IMHO> Dick

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

The OMM Colt is a good revolver, but to truly beat the K-22 you should look for a OMT or an OMS. The older shooters prefered the Officer Model Special and the Officer model Target over the newer Officer Model Match because of the sights. A story I have heard from older bullseye shooters I know and also have heard it here too.
Hold on to your Smith and do a little research before you make the jump.

Here's an OMS on auction now: http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976371033.htm

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 08-28-2003).]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I quess I should have waited for your replies, but I bought the OMM this morning & sold the K22 this afternoon. I took it to the range & shot it until 5 horses wandered onto the range ending the fun.

I can shoot this gun better than the K22, and the 617 I sold last summer. Doesn't feel quite so muzzle heavy. It's accuracy is outstanding & I like the trigger shoe. The action is better than one of my Pythons & overall it's like shooting a Python w/o the worry of wear & tear.

The K22 was a good gun, no doubt about it. It didn't have a target width trigger or hammer or target grips & was a real lead spitter (aren't all .22's to some extent?), but was accurate. I've seen nice, used K22's for sale many, many times but rarely find Colt .22's in this shape & price range.

Next .22 I look for is a M18 4". Thanks for input.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

diamonback68 - Thanks for dating this gun. 1967 is a little newer than I originally thought, but it makes sense since the grips aren't like the fully checkered older style. They're basically identical to the ones on a Python but w/ a silver medallion. They are SN'ed to the gun.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Shortcut, if you could only keep one gun, I would have made the same decision. The S&W Model 17s are hard to find in my area but the Colt OMT, OMS and OMM are nearly impossible to locate. It's taken me many years to find nice examples of each.

·
Registered
153 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Majic:
The OMM Colt is a good revolver, but to truly beat the K-22 you should look for a OMT or an OMS. The older shooters prefered the Officer Model Special and the Officer model Target over the newer Officer Model Match because of the sights. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'm new to this forum and to owning Colt revolvers. I just bought a Colt Officers Model 22 Target. Is this going to be a really accurate pistol? I'm a little concerned with the age as it was made in 1930. But the former owner told me he shot it also, so I guess I will too.

Joed

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Joed, I haven't heard any complaints of the OMT. Sure there could be a lemon, everyone makes one a time or two, but that's an exception not the norm. Clean the ole girl up nicely and give her a whirl. I bet you will be pleased.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Although the thought of parting with a K22 makes me cringe, if forced to pick between the Colt and the Smithy I suppose one has to give up the Smith. They're not as hard to find as the Colt as somebody has already said. Still... (cringe)

------------------

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I've spent some time w/ the OMM & think it's an extraordinary firearm. Accuracy has been better for me then any K17 I've used, even w/ cheap W-Mart bulk ammo. Fifty feet or 25 yds. I shoot better then I ever have. Plinking at rocks at 100 yds. is easy.

I've never been too keen on Colt's DA but on this particular gun it's the best I've experienced & that includes S&W's. I put on a set of Badger Target grips that came w/ a used Python & they fit perfect & feel better to my smallish hands. Also, I removed the trigger shoe which left no marks. This is the best shooting, most satisfying gun I own.

[This message has been edited by shortcut (edited 09-11-2003).]

·
Registered
535 Posts

I agree with all the other guys and wanted to ad my 2 cents ... I'm sure you'll like your Colt! I'm doing the same thing - I want to pick up a 3rd generation OMM in .22 and .38 and eventually get a new Python. They all are so similar and interchange a lot of parts, grips, etc. You can always have the sights changed out on any of the target Colts, but give the factory ones a try, first. I think the old timers at Colt new what they were about! I like Smith K-22's and the K-38 real well, too, but, well, ... they're not COLT's, are they? <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shortcut:
I tried for a year, without luck, to find a good Colt .22 to add to the other Colt revolvers & pistols I've accumulated, but three weeks ago settled for a M17-5 K22 Masterpiece.

Today, I find a .22 OMM in truely superb condition for $400, no box. This gun has a target trigger shoe mounted, but otherwise appears original.

For me to get this Colt I would have to sell the K22 which is no problem because I called a friend & he'll give me what I paid for it. The big question is will the OMM be a worthy replacement for the S&W? The Colt's SN is 853XX , maybe another X, can't remember, so maybe someone can date it's birth. Does the trigger shoe hurt it's value? It looks removable.
Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
3 Posts

joed, you wrote: " I'm a little concerned with the age as it was made in 1930."

What - not old enough for ya?

You've got a treasure there, and as long as it hasn't been damaged, I know that it'll shoot better than I could.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
153 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Happy Bob:

You've got a treasure there, and as long as it hasn't been damaged, I know that it'll shoot better than I could.

Enjoy.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been shooting it and am quite impressed. It shoots better then I can. Started thinking that I don't really think I could hurt it firing 22's.

It's a little odd looking with that massive cylinder and 6 tiny little holes though.

Joed

[This message has been edited by joed (edited 09-23-2003).]

·
Registered
13 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shortcut:

Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Regards your trigger shoe, I have had very serious damage to my hands and find that using a wide trigger shoe helps considerabley with my shooting. However I only have one at this time and it is on my M-541-S Remington .22 Rifle. If you or others have trigger shoes you do not use or need I would like to hear from you. Semper Fi

1 - 15 of 15 Posts