Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Officers Model 22 Long Rifle

Hi,
I bought my second Colt today at a local Gun Show. Although I didn't know its value I bought it based on its condition. I paid $395.00 OTD. I have a few questions and any comments would be appreciated.
The barrel is stamped on the left side Colt Officers Model 22 Long Rifle. The serial number is 275XX, which after getting home I looked up and if I'm correct it dates around 1943? It is a 6" tapered barrel and has a checkered backstrap and trigger, is the checkering factory? It has adjustable front and rear sights. It was gun only with no box or papers.
The grips are not factory original but appear to be Roper Targets, which pushed me off the deep end. The finish has a few small marks but only shows the slightest wear at the muzzle and a slight cylinder ring.
Is this a third Issue?

Thanks for any help, Jim

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: Officers Model 22 Long Rifle

Hi Jim. $395 OTD was a good deal.

You have what is commonly referred to as a pre war 3rd issue Officers Model Target.You should have a last patent date on the barrel showing Oct 5, 1926. This particular version was produced from around 1927 to approximately 1949.

The 22 LR is viewed by many to be more desirable than the 38 Special. The 22 LR became available in 1930. The checkering on the rear of the grip frame is indeed factory. Most of these guns were fitted with checkered walnut stocks with the old style silver colored medallion. However, I have seen what looked to be original early 3rd issue OMT with the black hard rubber stocks as used on the Army Special. Perhaps parts clean up by the factory. The 1st year of the 22 LR in 1930, and I believe did not have cylinder recessed for the cartridge rim. The cylinder of your gun should be recessed.

As you noted both the front and rear sights are adjustable. These are pretty good shooters and will retain their value over the long run. You should be very pleased.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

WS23,
Thanks for taking the time to reply, the information is appreciated.
Yes you are correct, last patent date on the barrel top is 1926 and the cylinder is recessed.
Is the checkered trigger also factory?
Does 1943 seem about right for the year of production?
Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

A1A,
Hey thats great.
My username originates from a old deer hunting camp that was built in the 1860's. Chimmney leaned and the roof sagged in the center. One night when we were howling at the moon we started to call it the Tilton Hilton. Next day we threw together a plague with the name own it and wired it with cloths hangers to the remains of a front gutter.
Thanks for the picture, Jim

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts

That's a defunct (when the picture was taken about 4 years ago) little bar on Card Sound Road in Key Largo, FL. The back end has probably always been "tilton" toward the sound. I have been familiar with it since the early 80s. Also.....Jim /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts