Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took in a %97 6 inch Officers Model .38 Heavy Barrel. Original owner, Guy bought it in the early 1930's and has had it since day one. Original box, factory target, etc.

While playing with it I notice that it fires fine on Single Action but double action rotates the cylinder without cocking and dropping the hammer. Is this factory? I examined the hammer/sear and it has no DA notch appearantly and it looks like it never did.

Any thoughts?

RMV

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
That is a factory single action OMT. It was an option you could order. The hammer just slightly rocks as you pull the trigger in double action. If you cock the hammer you should note that it doesn't go back as far as a DA/SA model. I also have one.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I checked 3 resource books and I can't find where a single action was "an option". What resource are you using that shows that a single action was an option?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Colt Officer 38 Heavy Barrel #616023. VERY nice gun. Box numbered to
gun. Includes original docs, including factory target. Interestingly,
this gun fires SINGLE ACTION ONLY. When you fire DA the cylinder
revolves and locks, but the hammer doesnt move. Possibly a custom gun
as the back of the frame (where it faces the shooter) is matted. I'm
probably going to hold this until it letters.

Best,
RM Vivas
www.vivasandson.com

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Very interesting. The gun is serialized as a 1937 Official Police.

Majic, Tell us more about this revolver.

·
Registered
909 Posts
OP's and Officer's Models were built on the same frame so the serials are intermingled.

I have seen a couple of these SA only OM's from the bullseye era. They were the race guns of their day.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Officers Models serial numbers have run with the OP, Trooper, and the 357. Colts can cause headaches with their serial numbers.
When I said the hammer rocks when the trigger is pulled what is happening is the block lowers to allow the firing pin to reach the cartridge. When the trigger is released the block rises and pushes the hammer back.
My revolver has what I think is one of the King's adjustable front sight. The backstrap is checkered like all the other examples I have seen. It dates to 1940, but you have to look in the OP series of numbers.
I have seen 4 or 5 in my lifetime and was told by an old Bullseye shooter that it was only good for the slow fire stage. S&W also built their K38 as a single action only revolver for those who shot Smiths.

Addicted,
As you know you could order from the factory just about anything you wanted. In my learnings if the gun wasn't regular production then it was ordered with extra or optional features thus whatever was different was an option. I should have said "custom" since it caused confusion. We all learned different wordings and phrases, but in time we understand each other.

BTW... I got mine for really good price because my dealer, bless his heart, couldn't give it away as people thought it had problems and didn't want to fool with having an old Colt fixed. He had taken it back off the shelf, but told me about it when I came in as he knows I like Colts.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Majic,
Yes Officers Models serial numbers do run with other Model numbers, same for the K Frame and N Frame S&W's
but they can be sorted out most times. I thought Addicted was seeing something that I wasn't seeing in the
picture. It's clear to me it's a OMT and numbered in a known block of serial numbers for OMT's.
IP

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
interesting thread, you say you examined the hammer/sear i am wondering if the hammer is drilled for the d/a strut pin?? i have also heard or read the s/a only was a option but looked and cant find where i saw it. please keep us posted if you letter the gun.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
here is a page from a 1965 gun digest, officers model match single action is listed at 130$. notice the gun has full checkered targets while the python above has the second type target stocks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally sat down, enetered a search of the index of post-war American Riflemans and found one entry:

The Colt Short-Action Officers Model
Amer. Rifle 4/82 p. 37
Handgun
Review
Colt
The Colt Officers Model that was produced as a SA only

An article more anecdotal than informative, but it did mention one interesting thing: the writer spoke with Mr. huber about the availability of these guns (called "short action Officers Models") and was told that total production was about 500.

·
Registered
153 Posts
icdux1,
What your showing are Post War Guns, what he has is a Pre War OMT,
same for S&W's, K-38 Post War SA's were common, ever see a Pre War
S&W K Frame SA that was Factory, very hard to find, same for the OMT.
IP

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
sir, your point is well taken.i can`t tell you when the s/a option was FIRST offered by the factory, but as the ad clearly shows it WAS offered as an option on target arms.

·
Registered
70 Posts
RMV,

I'm sure Gil Hebard (125 Public Square, Knoxville, Illinois 61448) could tell you some more about this. He used to list them in his catalog in the early/mid-60's. He was a bullseye shooter and probably knew a lot of folks who used them.

·
Premium Member
9,462 Posts
I suspect many more Single Action Officers Models were created than were born at Colt. (Gil Hebard [Hubbard?] probably created a few himself.) Only a letter will verify.

·
Registered
153 Posts
JudgeColt,
Your are correct, a lot more were created than were born at Colt.
Over the years I've done at least 15 myself, not to try an fool anyone into
thinking they were a "rare" Colt, back when I was doing it they were only shooters,
not collectors items. The reason the DA was taken out was because it made a
much better action for a shooter and even in the rapid fire stage of a Match most
good target shooters never used DA, they always cocked the gun for every shot,
this way they always had a SA let off.
IP

1 - 17 of 17 Posts