Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Freind trying to sell me a pistol wondering roughly what it is worth?

On top of the barrel it has:

COLTS PT FA MFG CO HARTFORD CONN USA
PATD AUG 5 1884 JUNE 5 1900 APR 9 01 JULY 4 05

Left side of barrel has:

OFFICERS MODEL 38

Serial is 417115

Pistol is chome with bone or antler grips
Thanks in advance.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Well, I'm out of my bailiwick here and value depends on many things, but it would appear to be an OM made in 1916. What is the barrel length? The factory stocks (grips) at that time were checkered and varnished with Colt medallions. "Your" stocks would be aftermarket and could be valuable if they are genuine stag, but original stocks are desirable to the collector. If the finish is original, it would be nickel (not chrome) and would be somewhat rare apparently as blue was standard and anything else was special order. Condition is very important in value and you didn't mention it, but I wouldn't hazard a guess anyway. Hopefully you will get additional replies from those more knowledgeable in this area and pictures always help, if possible. Welcome to the forum. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Here's a recent thread from the Revolvers section just FYI. http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=21887&an=0&page=2#21887

·
Registered
794 Posts
A1A is right. There is no way to provide you with an informed answer based on the scant info you provided. Condition and originality being the two big hitters as A1A aptly pointed out.

Without details, maybe a better way to approach this is: how much does he want for it? Post the asking price here and if it is out of line (either high or low) it will be real easy for you to get an answer. If he is indeed a friend (meaning a true friend) then he will not rip you off and you can pay him his asking price. After all he knows what he paid for it and should share that with you.

Take your best guess on condition based on what a brand new gun would look like. If it looks like it was ridden hard and put away wet, then you may not want it at any price. If it is pristine, you really like it, and it is just what you have been looking for, swing your best deal, but don't be cheap and expect to steal it either. If it is just another gun to you with no special interest, attachment, or value to you, then only buy it if you feel the price is right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pistol is in fair shape. Scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 7. The gun is in working order needs a good cleaning. All parts are working and really tight and has a 6" barrel. I've seen him shoot it. He offered it to me for $250. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
794 Posts
TRIPOD, that is a reasonable price for that gun in that condition. If indeed the stocks are real stag then the $250 he wants is a real good deal for you. To net it out, your friend is not trying to get rich on this transaction.

Any shootable Colt in reasonably good condition for under $300 is probably worth a second look. When you consider the gun you are being offered is a target model with adjustable sights, $250 seems attractive.

Although I prefer much higher condition for keepers, I personably would buy the one you describe assuming it is nickel and original (not a re-nickel or re-chrome).

I hope this helps, and consider this is only one mans opinion. Others may feel quite different. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your decision. And don't forget to post some photo's after you take possession. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts