Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone provide a "birthdate" for my .38 OFFICERS MODEL HEAVY BARREL 6", serial number 603XXX?

It has an adjustable front sight blade. Were these sights pre-WWII?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I'll try to help here with info I have. Are you sure it is an Officers Model and not an Official Police? The ser no. indicates the later, or did you show too many serial numbers? The older Officers Model only went up to ser.# 603XX. Dick

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sitting here with the Colt O.M. in hand. The serial number on the frame and crane is very clearly 6036XX.

The 6" barrel is maked:

+OFFICERS MODEL 38+
+HEAVY BARREL+

The cylinder release, ejector rod tip, trigger, and hammer are all finely checkered. Trigger is blued. Hammer has shiny sides, otherwise blued.

The rear "blade" sight is adjustable only for windage. The front sight is adjustable for elevation. Top of frame has a matte finish; the rest is all nicely blued. Finish is about 90% with a trace of freckling on the right side frame.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sitting here with the Colt O.M. in hand. The serial number on the frame and crane is very clearly 6036XX.

The 6" barrel is maked:

+OFFICERS MODEL 38+
+HEAVY BARREL+

The cylinder release, ejector rod tip, trigger, and hammer are all finely checkered. Trigger is blued. Hammer has shiny sides, otherwise blued.

The rear "blade" sight is adjustable only for windage. The front sight is adjustable for elevation. Top of frame has a matte finish; the rest is all nicely blued. Finish is about 90% with a trace of freckling on the right side frame.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I apologize the603XX ser. # was for the Officers Model Special, the Officers Model ser. # went up to 88843 in 1969 and then started over with J1001 and continued with the Mk III and Officers Model Match, but none had that serial no. unless it was prefixed or suffixed with either a "J" or and "L". That exhaust my info from R.L. Wilson. Good luck Dick

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm still unsure of the birthdate.

Were the old style sights and checkered grips only used before WWII?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My Colt book is a little sketchy on certain serial numbers, but it looks like your OMS was built in 1950. The heavy barrel means it is a 4th edition and they were only made from 1949 to 1952.
The adjustable front sight was common on Officer Model Target and Officer Model Specials. The adjustable front sight was dropped on the Officer Model Match when they came out in 1953.

I hope I came close for you.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Hey Majic!
That's the same "sketchy" problem I'm having because jerry6stl says it is a six digit serial number not five. My info is sketchy too, but it says even in Officers Model Special, 6stl says it isn't a Special, goes up to 603XX ( five digit ) in 1950 and then skips to 783001, but that six digit serial number is too high. VERY CONFUSING.... if you have better info would love to know where you get it. Dick

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
R Walter
I'm just trying to help here, but according to R.L. Wilson's book you are so correct your gun dates to 1927 and then that serial number series ends at 540000 in 1927. Also to add to the confusion the Official Police starts in 1927 with serial number 513216 and goes up. So, and someone maybe like dfariswheel knows, if they mixed serial no. of the OM with the OP then jerry6stl's gun would be dated 1937. The problem is most of the Colt data stops at either 1978 or 1985. Dick

·
Registered
153 Posts
Jerry,
Your OMT was made 1937, the last number I have for a Pre War OMT is in the 724??? range made in late 1945.

IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jerry6stl:

Can anyone provide a "birthdate" for my .38 OFFICERS MODEL HEAVY BARREL 6", serial number 603XXX?

It has an adjustable front sight blade. Were these sights pre-WWII?

Thanks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
153 Posts
By the way,
Anyone that needs good info on any and all of the Pre War Colt Target Revolvers go to www.groups.yahoo.com/group/COLT-1 the Files in this group have many, many pictures of all the guns and all of the serial numbers of the Pre War Target Revolvers. There is also a list of known survivors by serial number, year Mfg. and condition etc. for each Model. The first OMT was made in 1904 at about srrial number 225800, from the Files of COLT-1
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ira Paine:
Jerry,
Your OMT was made 1937, the last number I have for a Pre War OMT is in the 724??? range made in late 1945.

IP

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IRA,

Thanks for the info and date.

Does the front adjustable sight, and checkered trigger/hammer always indicate pre-WWII manufacture in Colt target revolvers?

If not, was there a date when Colt abandoned the adjustable front sight?

JERRY

·
Registered
153 Posts
Jerry, Not always as these same features were used on some of the early Post War guns. The adj. front sight was used up untill the OMS came out in 1949, with that gun the rear sight was adj. for both W & E.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jerry6stl:
IRA,

Thanks for the info and date.

Does the front adjustable sight, and checkered trigger/hammer always indicate pre-WWII manufacture in Colt target revolvers?

If not, was there a date when Colt abandoned the adjustable front sight?

JERRY
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have an Officers Model Target, SN 529xxx (note the six digits) that has been dated to 1927. [I am not aware of any limitation to 5 digits in my OM Target that Diamondback describes.]

Mine is a 6 inch (not-heavy) barrel with the adjustable front sights, no target trigger or hammer, with excellent blued finish in about 98% condition.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts