Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting started collecting, and dont have any books yet, so maybe someone here could give me some info on my gun. It is a Colt officers model 38 heavy barrel. The ser.# is 6503xx. Besides the date of mfg.,I need to know what kind of grips would have came on this gun, so I can begin my search for a set. The gun is real nice, but the grips are gone. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I am just getting started collecting, and dont have any books yet, so maybe someone here could give me some info on my gun. It is a Colt officers model 38 heavy barrel. The ser.# is 6503xx. Besides the date of mfg.,I need to know what kind of grips would have came on this gun, so I can begin my search for a set. The gun is real nice, but the grips are gone. Thanks for your help.
I got my help from "A1A" in this Thread:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18258

Your date of mfg. is 1940, I think...

Billy

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
1940 would be correct. The original stocks would look like this.

The notable pre-war characteristics are the silver medallions that are like caps and mounted by the edges being crimped through holes in the back (there are 3). Note the rampant colt's head is under the L. They also have the screw escutcheons. In that time frame, the same stocks were used on the Official Police and the Officers Models.

In contrast, post-war stocks for similar models have nickel medallions with a single post mount, no screw escutcheons and the colt's head is under the C. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for everyones help. I looked for this date at the proof house, but I was just more confused. Did this date come from this site, if so please tell me where you found it? How difficult is it going to be to find a set of grips like this? Got any ideas where to start? Classifieds? Thanks.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Yes, from Proofhouse, but you have to know that the 38 caliber Officers Models were numbered with the "base" model of the era; that is, New Army and Navy, Army Special, Official Police and Trooper. Yours was numbered with the Official Police (and Marshal). The exception is the Officers Model Special (1949 - 1953) which had its own continuous serial range. Those identified as just Officers Model in the Proofhouse listing are 22LR caliber only which shared a separate serial range.

The classifieds here might yield a set, but unfortunately, eBay is still probably the prime source. Of course, prices have risen steadily. Not really knowing the condition of the gun, it is hard to say what condition stocks would be "compatible" so price predicting is difficult. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, from Proofhouse, but you have to know that the 38 caliber Officers Models were numbered with the "base" model of the era; that is, New Army and Navy, Army Special, Official Police and Trooper. Yours was numbered with the Official Police (and Marshal). The exception is the Officers Model Special (1949 - 1953) which had its own continuous serial range. Those identified as just Officers Model in the Proofhouse listing are 22LR caliber only which shared a separate serial range.

The classifieds here might yield a set, but unfortunately, eBay is still probably the prime source. Of course, prices have risen steadily. Not really knowing the condition of the gun, it is hard to say what condition stocks would be "compatible" so price predicting is difficult. :)
Thanks, The guns condition is excellent, with a few handling marks. I dont need mint stocks, but excellent, with slight wear would be great. Got any ideas of the value of these stocks. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts