Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new member who recently purchased an Officer's Model Match 22 rf serial no. 74,XXX which places it as a 1957 gun (I think). Which grips would this gun have originally come with, fully checkered as in the picture below or with partially checkered grips with slight thumb rest on left grip (similar to early Python)? I've searched the net and found examples with both type of grips. Were the grips pictured below used on early guns and then transition to the Python type grips later?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, I new to forum and evidently my picture didn't come through in the previous post, so I copy one from another poster (22_Matt). My OMM .22 has the exact same stocks on it as those on the top gun in the photo below. Would they be period correct for serial no. 74,XXX? Oh, sorry for the double post.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
The top gun in the picture is from 1960 and that is the transition year from full checkered to the type 2 stock. The bottom gun is from 1953, the first year of the OMM and has the same type stocks as your gun should have. If the gun is in shooter grade condition, just enjoy it with the stocks that it has.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Here is a pair of mine. They should look like this. But your grips are still desirable, just not as much as the fully checkered ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Am I correct in my assumption based upon proofhouse.com that serial no. 74,XXX would be 1957 production? Are these production or shipping dates?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like my Colt education is going to be expensive. I wanted a nice example of the Colt 22 OMM and looked quite awhile before I even found one (excluding the internet). Found a nearby private individual with one from 1957 (I believe) in approx. 95% condition and paid $650. Now I find that it has the Type 2 target stocks and, to be right, should have the full checkered target stocks which are another $300 or so and hard to locate. I may be better off trying to sell this one and use my new education to buy a "correct" gun, but not sure that I could even recoup my investment from this one. Lesson learned, do a better job at home work prior to purchasing. Should have joined this forum (great site by the way) first.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
The stocks you have can go for 150 and up. And I have seen the ones you want go for uder 200 a few months ago.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
It looks like my Colt education is going to be expensive. I wanted a nice example of the Colt 22 OMM and looked quite awhile before I even found one (excluding the internet). Found a nearby private individual with one from 1957 (I believe) in approx. 95% condition and paid $650. Now I find that it has the Type 2 target stocks and, to be right, should have the full checkered target stocks which are another $300 or so and hard to locate. I may be better off trying to sell this one and use my new education to buy a "correct" gun, but not sure that I could even recoup my investment from this one. Lesson learned, do a better job at home work prior to purchasing. Should have joined this forum (great site by the way) first.
That sounds like a good price for that gun, even with incorrect stocks. You might consider spending what it takes to get the correct Type 1 stocks and then sell your Type 2 stocks to recoup some of the cost (or keep the Type 2 stocks for a future gun).

Type 1 stocks with silver medallions appear on eBay somewhat regularly and are often listed for the Python. If you gun is in 95% condition you might not need a pristine pair to look 'right.' Be aware though that the silver medallion style changed between early and 'later' guns wearing these stocks.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Somehow, that pair must have escaped the notice of those who replace the silver medallions with gold ones and sell them as Python stocks!
I was actually refering to a pair I sold myself on Ebay. I was shocked that it only went for 185.00 and they were 98%! Some guy got a great deal. It happens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. I'll keep a watch on ebay and at the gun shows for the type 1 fully checkered stocks and keep the type 2 stocks on the gun until I can acquire the correct type 1. They look and feel good. I DO like the OMM, my first. Action seems to be a little smoother than my S&W K22. Could be tempted by a Colt pre-war target as my 2nd Colt OM 22.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts