Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to 'my family' is a 95%+ condition OMM serial number 66XXX.
1)Could someone please help me pin down the year of manufacture?
2)I am not sure, but believe she wears the original grips. They are checkered all the way up, have a silver medallian and are full at the top like a python grip. Does this sound correct? Tragically, someone seems to have nicely filed a speedloader shelf on the left grip.
The blue is rich throughout and the only marks on her are the cylinder ring and the shelf on the grips. She also came with Pach presentation grips. I paid $495 for this piece of American firearm art, which I thought was reasonable. How did I do?
Thank you all for your assistance and good luck to us all.

------------------

[This message has been edited by buster342 (edited 07-21-2005).]

[This message has been edited by buster342 (edited 07-21-2005).]

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hi Buster: Welcome to the Forum. Sounds like you have a nice OMM there. It appears to be a 1967 production gun from the rudimentary source I have here at work. (Don't bet the farm on that date, Bud or DFaris can probably give you a more accurate reading.) If the checkering goes all the way up on target stocks, then those may or may not be the original stocks. Earlier OMMs certainly had them, I just don't know when they stopped using them. Too bad they have been modified as replacements can be tough to find. The pic below is one of my OMM .22 which I have posted before. The stocks on mine are the later version and my gun is in the 87000 serial range, so it is later than yours. Post a pic or 2 of your new piece if you can. HTH.

Charlie Flick

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,629 Posts
Looks like my post of this afternoon was lost in the move.

66XXX was made in 1953.
The OMM serials started with 65001 in 1952.
The numbers for 1953 ran from 65028 to 67699 by year's end.

The fully checkered grips with the Silver medallions would be correct for that gun.

So, you have an early second year production OMM.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx Ordnanceguy and dfariswheel. I very much appreciate your learned opinions.
Ordnance: Spectacular PIC of a beautiful OMM! Congrats.
I found a website that lists dates of manufacture of various weapons by serial number. Click here for OMM: http://proofhouse.com/colt/
It was unclear if the OMM serial numbers referred to were .22 or .38 caliber. Could they possibly be the same for both calibers?
Anyway, Proofhouse shows 66,XXX would be in the 1953 range.
My grips are shaped like those in Ord' PIC, except with checkering all the way up.
I hope to have a PIC of my own soon and I will post.
I was not aware at the time of purchase online that the grips were anything but original. It seems that I may have overpaid by about $50-75. My feeling is that sometimes you get the bear ... and sometimes the bear gets you! I have made better deals, but I may have never bought a finer weapon! I have wanted one for some time and kinda gushed at this one. The finish is the equal of Ord's PIC.
I am in the market for correct grips for my colt, if anyone is interested!
Thanx again for the info ... stay tuned for a PIC ...
And good luck to us all.
Buster

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.