Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this last week. The serial is 78296. I have no reference material yet. What is the date of build? Did Colt sell them as the made them or could a revolver be in inventory a long time before shipping?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
78296 was made in 1960.
The numbers picked up that year at 78100 and ran to 80099 by the end of the year.

There are examples of Colt firearms sitting SOMEWHERE in the factory for periods of time before being shipped.

Sometimes these are bare frames that aren't assembled for some years for one reason or another.

There are even more examples of guns that sit on wholesalers shelves or in dealers cases for years.

Back around 1986 I bought a 6" stainless Python.

I bought a stainless 4" model in 1991.

The 1991 Python has a LOWER serial than the one bought in 1986.

Both were ordered by me from two different major wholesalers.

So, where WAS the 4" gun for all those years?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Gunfish, that is a great looking Colt. Is it a .38 or .22. I can't tell from the side view. Its too bad they don't make them like that anymore. I wish that they would have put a ventilated rib barrel on those Officer models to match the Python.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I just noticed that it is a .22 by the title. I've been looking for a good one for quite some time. I'm envious. I need to find a NIB one to go with my NIB K22. They sure are getting hard to find. What are they going for NIB?

·
Registered
807 Posts
M2HB:

1)If Colt had put a ventilated rib(Like the Python's)on all(Or, most of?)their revolvers, after the Python came out-then(By now!)ventilated rib barrels would have just been considered to be "Common" and not unique in any way!

2)The old Officer's revolvers, had their "Unique" place(Back in time!)and their single barrel profile(With an unshrouded ejector rod!)is truly "Classic"! And, this is why they are so desireable(They are no longer "Common"!)! This, along with the true(Early days!)Colt craftsmanship and, precision hand fitting! Just very finely made revolvers! This, at a long lost time, when gun making was an art(And, superb craftsmanship was clearly evident, and, required!)!

3)Look at stainless guns, whenever they first came out, everybody wanted these! Blued guns were just everyday "Common"(Even though a beautifully blued revolver, is a sight to behold!)! Now, stainless guns are just considered "Common" and "HO-HUM"! Despite the fact that stainless guns are more rust resistant(And, more maintenance free!)everyone now, is "Craving" the blued guns again(Simply because the gun factories had(For the most part!)discontinued them-and, this has created a new "Demand" for blued guns!

4)Although the Python, is a beautiful revolver(And, a "Classic" in it's own right!)it cannot take the place of the really, "Classic" older Colt target revolvers! And, for this reason, these old, Officer's Model Revolvers, will always be an important "Collectible" and will remain in "Demand" by Colt Gun Collector's(Until the end of time)!

5)Look at Smith and Wesson! They eventually, copied(Or tried to!)copy the heavy lugged barrel(Due to the "Immense" popularity of the Colt Python!)by introducing their L-frame revolvers!However, this now, has increased the demand for the earlier(Half-shrouded)K-frame revolvers(With their "Classically", good looking barrels)!

6)Although, the heavy lugged barrels certainly have their place, I don't believe that they belong on every revolver! The old "Classic" revolvers, are better left alone, to have, to hold, and to enjoy(In memory, of their one-time "Greatness")! How wonderful it is, to own an older("Classic")revolver! A positive reminder of "Times gone bye"!

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 02-16-2005).]

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
They shoot good too! But, I would not shoot that one. It is meant for the safe and oogling periodically. Colt looked at manufacturing a 22 version of the Python, but the Officers Model Target filled that niche nicely, so they didn't introduce the Python into the market. Such a lose for collectors.

They are pricey in my neck of the woods too (but worth the bucks), if you like 'em and can find one! Beautiful Gun!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Look at stainless guns, whenever they first came out, everybody wanted these!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well not quite everybody. There was a lot of us then who didn't care for them and still feel that way today. The few SS models I have are only made in that alloy except one (a Python) and that was bought at a rediculously low price.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will be shooting this one. There is some slight finish wear at the crane pivot and the cylinder front. I don't normally buy when the finish is near 95% but I figuired it would be awhile before another OMM would show up and the price was reasonable (500) though not exactly a bargain. I bought this from a dealer, he bought it at an auction in Ohio, he got the bargain. Thanks for the date info.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well, I did it. I have a NIB OMM on its way. Hopefully it will arrive in about a week. It will be a safe queen.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well, I did it. I have a NIB OMM on its way. Hopefully it will arrive in about a week. It will be a safe queen.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I don't have any problem with the concept of safe queens, but you guys are missing out on a real thrill if you don't shoot these guns. I have to admit, this one was so nice I had to wrestle with myself for a month or so, but the shooter in me won, and I'm glad it did. It's a real pleasure to shoot.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thats a great looking Colt. I don't blame you for shooting it, however If I was going to shoot the one I bought, I could have purchased a 98%+ one w/o a box for about $150 less. I'm thinking of buying a used one and having the barrel removed and buying a used Python barrel and having it sleeved for 22lr. With a little filler piece behind the v. rib and heli-arc the .357 rollstamp and engraving it with a ".22 long rifle" marking, I would have a unique gun.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Shoot it! I have a OM .22 rimfire from 1930 that I shoot regularly. It's a .22 rimfire, how can you hurt it? I will admit that I only shoot standard velocity ammo out of mine though.

I also can't believe how accurate these .22's are. My 1930 OM will outshoot my S&W 17 every time.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Was the barrel on the 22 OMM made in the sixties (1967 specifically) bored with the same specifications as the 22Magnum? I think I heard or read somewhere (here perhaps) that Colt changed to a common bore for the 22LR and Magnum. It is claimed that the later Colt 22s were not so accurate with 22LR. Is this the case for the OMM which is a target grade revolver? CC

·
Registered
448 Posts
ColtCobra, I'm certainly no expert, but from everything that I have heard, the OMM is one of the most accurate 22lr revolvers ever made. With the action of the Python and the better sights than the OMT it should be a good shooter. I found a new one a few days ago and it just arrived. I won't be able to tell you how accurate it really is because I won't shoot it. Its a safe queen. However, if I find a 98%+ I may just buy it for a shooter.

·
Registered
448 Posts
ColtCobra, I'm certainly no expert, but from everything that I have heard, the OMM is one of the most accurate 22lr revolvers ever made. With the action of the Python and the better sights than the OMT it should be a good shooter. I found a new one a few days ago and it just arrived. I won't be able to tell you how accurate it really is because I won't shoot it. Its a safe queen. However, if I find a 98%+ I may just buy it for a shooter.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm posting this to see if anyone has a defitive answer to Coltcobra's question. I would assume that the 1960s OMM has a very tight 22lr bore to insure its exceptional accuracy, as it was Colt's "top of the line" 22lr target revolver.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts