Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local shop has this revolver marked at $389.00. Serial number is 9302XX.
Revolver is like new, EXCEPT light pitting on small area of cylinder and small spot on frame. I assume the pitting is from setting in a drawer, unmoved, for many years. The pitting appears to be on the surface only and not deep, but its there. The grips are also like new, show no wear,. The finish on the grips look flat, as though they have no sealer.
I'm sure it would be a wonderful shooter.
As you can probably tell from my description, I know next to nothing about Colts.
With the pitting, is the price fair? Based on the serial number approx what year would this have been made?
I just have to add that the trigger/action was like silk, just a pleasure to work.Real piece of craftsmanship.
Any opinions on my questions would be appreciated as well as anything else to look for or check.I didn't ask about box and papers, but I will if it sounds like its worth buying.
Regards, Jim

·
Registered
448 Posts
The original Colt Officer Model Match ended production in 1969 with serial # 88843. They were then replaced by the MK III Officer model Match, J series. I can't seem to find that #. Does the one in question have a shrouded, ventilated rib barrel?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
First,welcome to the Colt Forum,Jim. Looks like a 1961 production gun. Not having seen the gun,the price seems "fair",but not a great deal,with the "pitting",which may well clean up. These guns do have incredible smooth actions,and a "pre lawyer" trigger pull. Colt would only build this "old style" action on the E and I frames(mid size) for 7 more years,except for the vaunted Python.

A word of cautiuon;these older,vintage Colts can be "addictive-and-expensive. Good Luck,and let us know the outcome. Bud

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
M2HB; The number was hard to find in Wilson's book,BUT,from 1953-1969,you will see that the Officers .38 shared numbers with the Trooper. Officer Models,in .22 and .38,are "all over the place" in serial #s,and what model they were "lumped together" with!! I thought at first Jim had stumbled onto one of the few Mk.III Officers,as I think you did,but knew the numbers went nearly to a million. Bud

·
Registered
448 Posts
The original Colt Officer Model Match ended production in 1969 with serial # 88843. They were then replaced by the MK III Officer model Match, J series. I can't seem to find that #. Does the one in question have a shrouded, ventilated rib barrel?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lonewolf, Thanks for the welcome and information.
M2HB, this one does not have vent rib or shrouded extractor rod.
Thanks Again, JIm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts