·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning all!
I am the proud new owner of a 6" Officers Model Match .22 at least 99%
#81XXX made in 1962 (I think)
I was at the local gun show last weekend looking for a nice older K-22
I passed a table with this OMM on it and just about left rubber screeching to a halt!!!
I swear it called out to me,"Take me home."
I have never owned a Colt, have always owned S&W's, and can use any advice on the care and feeding of my new baby.
(It is a shooter, not a safe queen)
Sure glad I found you guys.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your acquisition. It is one fine revolver. Their demise was surely precipitated by the switch to autoloaders in competitive match shooting (for which they were intended). It is one robust pistol as you by now have determined,especially given the loading. There is no real reason given care that it won't give lifetimes of great shooting. If there is one area of caution, in my opinion, it is that the timing, like all heavy cylinder revolvers, will erode quicker if rapidly cycled double action or cocked fast and hard. Other than that, it is overbuilt for the cartridge and normal use. It is also super accurate. I have a 67 ed. in similar condition and I love shooting it. I am sure you will get many hours of pleasure from it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hello OMGuy, and welcome to the Forum. You will like it here!

Congratulations on finding a nice OMM. They are sweet guns and you were smart to jump on it when you found one you liked. How about posting a pic or 2 of it? (Inhabitants here never get enough of the pics, you will find.)

Here is a pic of my own .22 OMM which I think I posted a while back. Enjoy your OMM.

Charlie Flick

·
Registered
794 Posts
Jeeze, Charlie! Put all the rest of our guns to shame by posting that beauty. Very nice.

Welcome to the forum OMG.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I echo the welcomes and admiration for your beautiful Colt! I agree, too, that the I/E frame Colts - just about all of them pre-Mark III's, can be fussy about timing and can loose their double-action. For a single-action target revolver, though, you can't beat a good, old Colt! And the .22's won't break the bank or your gun or your eardrums! I've got to get me one of those!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the warm welcome.
Took my new toy to the range and put a couple of hundred mini mags thru it.
I am in love. Shoots better than any handgun I have.
(I have other accurate handguns, but this OMM, wow!)
Very glad I stopped at the booth to take a look at it.
Has anyone purchased a gun they had never thought about owning? Until after they had picked it up and fondled it?
It had not happened to me before (I am 52yrs old)
Nice to be surprised like that!!!
What are your stories? What is it about Colts? I am hooked.
It's nice.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You're hooked,you say?

I'm infeccted with snakefever, my problem is I'm still waiting for my gunpermit.

Problem is I got bitten by a Diamondback.
But until I get my permit I can only look at it from time to time at my gundealer. Leaving it behind every time breaks my heart!

Greetings from a feverish and by now still growing more impatient Gunsmoke.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The OMM is as close to a Colt Python in 22lr as you can get. I bought one NIB that I really like. I won't shoot it since it is in NIB condition. They are so well built that I will look for a slightly used one as a shooter.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The OMM is as close to a Colt Python in 22lr as you can get. I bought one NIB that I really like. I won't shoot it since it is in NIB condition. They are so well built that I will look for a slightly used one as a shooter.

·
Registered
153 Posts
OfficersMatchGuy, I started just like you. Was looking for a S&W 17 and happened across an OM in .22 rf. My first Colt too.

I've since gotten a model 17 and it does not compare to the OM.

They are great guns. Mine is from 1930, made the first year they offered the .22 rf. I shoot it every chance I get.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Interesting question ... I think we - the readers of these pages, have picked out the Colt 2X revolvers deliberately as a tool. "Nobody was ever dissapointed with the best!" I can see guys that are just enraptured with the .45 auto and Single Action Army - I like them, too. But my favorites are the I/E frame 2X Colts. As a marketing phenomenon, it's just fascinating ... no media hype like the .45's, nothing much from collectors - until the last 10 years, nobody uses one for police or military service anymore ... so what IS the appeal!? Must be a relatively small few of us gun nuts, "choosing our weapons." I learned to shoot with my dad and his Offcial Police and later carried one myself for police service but I don't think all of the readers here are 50+ year-old-ex- cops, either. Heck, ... I dunno ... just thinking in print. It IS interesting, though, ain't it?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Amen. After owning/shooting Herter's, Arminius, H&R, Ruger, S&W; and then pulling back the hammer on a Python and hearing/feeling the "click-click", it was all over for anything but Colt.

·
Premium Member
9,457 Posts
One single OMM will not be enough. You will now have to get an OMT and an OMS to compare with your OMM. I am hooked on the OMS as my favorite. Love that heavy barrel. Of course, an early OMM with full-checkered stocks is really nice too, and the sights are better. But then again, nothing can match the blueing and action on a Pre-War OMT. You see, you MUST have at least one of each, and then you need both centerfire (.32 and .38) and rimfire (.22LR and .22WMR), and all barrel lengths. To complete the collection, you will need an early OM with the counter-clockwise cylinder rotation.

All of that could easily lead to advancing to the REAL Colt target revolvers, the New Service Target and the Shooting Master. There you have a selection of chamberings, with some real challenges, like .44 Special.

Welcome to the CCA meeting. (Colt Collectors Anonymous). My name is Judge...., and I am adicted to Colts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to admit, I am DOOMED!!! I am taking some serious looks at a 1966 Official Police in .22lr
An early 6" Trooper in .357 will most likely be my next purchase. Should make a nice companion piece to the OMM.
Ordnanceguy, your picture is VERY nice. Mine is (almost) just as pretty.
Does anyone have an aftermarket grip favorite for their baby? I am also hooked on pretty wood

·
Registered
570 Posts
Gents: Judge Colt has described the symptoms of this disorder quite well. I know what he is talking about as I am about half way through the progression of the disorder as he described it. Last year I bought a .32 OM after decades of laughing at the .32 caliber. Lately I have found myself wondering about the New Service Targets, and have started to think that perhaps the Shooting Masters are not really overpriced after all. I don't know if this is fatal or not, but it apparent that I have a full-blown case of OM-itis.....

Charlie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts