Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got up early and chased this nice OMM....it has the Single Action only lock work.....

Do you think thee are the original grips...PH has it between 1960 and 1961......

The serial number is 926936...Talked to Joe at Colt to get a letter on it and an OMM 22 Mag #78140...seems I have developed a thing for these...RR.

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Gosh I guess I should have posted a picture of the box and asked if it was a fake :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just kidding.....so what do you say on the grips.....I think a nice set of the early full checkered would look better....RR.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Stocks may be correct. 1960 is a transition year from full checker to the ones you have. I don't think you could be positive with a 1960 gun.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I agree that the stocks are correct. A very nice pickup. Enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thanks I though the same thing but was hoping for the full checkered......

I might put the older grips on it just for looks and keep these with the gun....Thanks RR.

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stclair, I would love to remove the side plate on mine but having never done so I am certainly hesitant...

I guess I will just wait for the letter......

My opinion on your grips says put the full checkered on it as those look to be the wrong vintage by at least one generation. RR

·
Premium Member
21,052 Posts
RR: I will follow your advice since I felt the grips looked newer than the gun. I think the grips on the gun may be for a Python of some vintage.
BTW, I had never removed a sideplate from this type revolver either, but I was told " Nothing will fall out." The fact of the matter is, the cylinder latch fell out/off, but it went back in place with no problem.
I know you have a great Ruger collection from a friend of mine (Jerry O.)

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Have you checked the single action pull weight? I am curious to know if these SA only had a refined single action pull like around 3 Lb ??

·
Premium Member
9,740 Posts
I would love to remove the side plate on mine but having never done so I am certainly hesitant...
No reason to be hesitant. If you can do simple mechanical tasks, then you can remove and reinstall the side plate. Using a screwdriver that fits, just remove the stocks and the side plate screws and strike the butt sharply with the screw driver handle a few times and the side plate will vibrate off. Take pictures for this thread and reinstall the side plate by pushing it into place and tapping it down with a non-marring tool. Be sure the cylinder latch is on its stud by working it to see if it moves the center pin correctly. If it does, install and tighten the screws and reinstall the stocks. Done - and you have learned more about your Colt in the process.

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Saintclair, Jerry is acquiring a fine collection of his own.....I have sold him some fine looking pieces.....

JudgeColt, that almost sounds like a challenge to my mechanical abilities..... an easy way to motivate me :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I will see what I can do...RR.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Saintclair, has anyone made the determination as to the SA only with the frame screw, hammer stop, being a factory installed setup. I am currently looking at one with the serial number 928001. Single action. I can see the screw in the frame as a trigger stop, like yours. It also has the hammer with the additional cut that rides over the stop screw. I am in the process of contacting someone who may be able to give a definitive answer, however I may miss the gun if it takes too long.

·
Premium Member
21,052 Posts
Saintclair, has anyone made the determination as to the SA only with the frame screw, hammer stop, being a factory installed setup. I am currently looking at one with the serial number 928001. Single action. I can see the screw in the frame as a trigger stop, like yours. It also has the hammer with the additional cut that rides over the stop screw. I am in the process of contacting someone who may be able to give a definitive answer, however I may miss the gun if it takes too long.
I have asked for a letter on my gun, but I did not 'spring for' the extra $100 cost to get an immediate answer. In researching my gun, I ran across a couple of comments on the internet about Colt making quite a few SA OMM's in your serial number range which is near RR's and mine. I feel quite certain my gun and RadicalRod's gun will letter. When I took mine apart, there was absolutely no sign that someone had drilled and threaded the hole that the hammer block screw is in. I think the gun you are looking at is in the 'magic serial number range.'

·
Registered
982 Posts
Terry, this gun will letter as factory, Short Action Single Action, shipped on 7/29/1960, Fort Meade, Md. 1 of 33. DOD

Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Metalworking hand tool Cutting tool Bolt cutter Trigger Auto part

·
Premium Member
21,052 Posts
XB40. The interior looks the same as my gun and RadicalRod's gun. May we be so lucky with our letters. It is good to know that the US Military purchased such guns. Maybe John F. Kennedy was at Meade and wanted to do some target shooting. I guess that date is a bit too early for JFK. It must have been Eisenhower.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Saintclair, I believe the indicators of a factory produced Short action single action(the factory notation of the configuration of this gun, as it was shipped) is the stop screw set in the frame under the hammer. I suppose a skilled gunsmith could accomplish the addition, and as such, a factory letter would be the only method of authentication of the factory conversion. The pictures of your gun looking identical to mine would lead me to believe your gun and RR's gun will letter also. Proofhouse shows my gun made in 1961. The letter has my gun being shipped on July 29, 1960, which would be over 1000 guns prior to the 1961 production year. Close enough I guess. This gun has a pitted place about the size of a little fingernail on the forward end of the left side of the barrel, and other than that shows little sign of use. If these guns were not used by competitive shooters, what use could the DOD have for them. I was in the Army in 1967, and I remember at least one base had a shooting range, skeet, target type facility. The shotguns and ammo were supplied, maybe handguns also, but I don't remember. If someone else knows, maybe they will post an answer.

·
Premium Member
21,052 Posts
Radicalrod,

Here's the link to the story behind my SAA OMM (serial 9100XX) : http://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...chase-officers-model-match-single-action.html

It did not letter as factory-original SAA.

Good luck with your letter. Please be sure to let us know the result.

Ed B.
Ed: I went back and looked at the pictures you took of the inside of your SA OMM. Your hammer is quite different than the hammer in the pistols that XB40, Radical Rod and I showed in this and in an earlier Thread. I suspect that your gun was modified by a very skilled gunsmith. It is even possible that Colt did the mod after it was sent back to them.
Look at the cutout on these hammers and compare to yours.

·
Registered
982 Posts
saintclair, Ed received a letter stating his gun was shipped as a standard OMM. That would explain the stock hammer and the lack of the screw hammer stop. But it proves a standard hammer could be adapted to work as a single action modification. I guess that is why the Blue Book states the SA OMM should always be supported by a Factory Letter, when bought or sold.

·
Premium Member
21,052 Posts
XB40: The desire for Colt owners to have letters is because Colt Historical can verify the production and shipping history of most of their guns.
Therefore, Colt Letters add to most gun values if they verify what we think we have. I just wish Colt would have a price structure that mirrors
Smith and Wesson. I feel we are being gouged.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts