Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,
this is a well used OM that left Colt in a batch of 6 in 1936 - nothing special in those days.

Now it comes with a skeleton hammer, hard rubber grips, and a single action system with a short trigger-pull and a refinished side-plate. It is a joy to shoot; great trigger. One of those grips is marked with a scratched 5-point star on the inside.
I paid $ 450 for it - so at least I was not "done brown".
Has anyone ever encountered such a modified OM before or knows a bit more about it. Please look in your treasure chest.
The grips could be an afterthought of the old owner who put them on the gun to keep the target grips for himself.
Peter

·
Premium Member
21,806 Posts
This one is a Colt Factory SA OMM that was shipped to an Army base for use by their shooting team in matches. Quite a few of these were made and some other forum members own examples.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,420 Posts
In the 1930's and 40's Colt was the preferred Target revolver at matches because they were usually the most accurate.
It was common for shooters to have modifications done to the sights, hammer, and to modify the action to a short action with a shorter hammer drop.

Some of this was done at the Colt factory on special order, but that was usually limited to conversion to the short action.
The majority of conversions were done by custom gunsmiths, most famously by King's, who made sight ribs and altered hammers to wider, longer, and often off set to the left side for faster cocking.

The more famous custom shops usually marked their work, but probably most smaller shops didn't, so finding out who did the work is often not possible.

In this case, I've seen that style of altered hammer before, but I have no idea of who did it.
Suffice to say a Colt with this level of alteration and workmanship was very likely done for a top shooter who wanted the most out of the gun as possible and was willing and able to pay for it.

Since the 30's and 40's Colt's left the factory with checkered walnut grips, someone along the way replaced them for some reason with the old hard rubber type from a different model Colt.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the 1930's and 40's Colt was the preferred Target revolver at matches because they were usually the most accurate.
It was common for shooters to have modifications done to the sights, hammer, and to modify the action to a short action with a shorter hammer drop.

Some of this was done at the Colt factory on special order, but that was usually limited to conversion to the short action.
The majority of conversions were done by custom gunsmiths, most famously by King's, who made sight ribs and altered hammers to wider, longer, and often off set to the left side for faster cocking.

The more famous custom shops usually marked their work, but probably most smaller shops didn't, so finding out who did the work is often not possible.

In this case, I've seen that style of altered hammer before, but I have no idea of who did it.
Suffice to say a Colt with this level of alteration and workmanship was very likely done for a top shooter who wanted the most out of the gun as possible and was willing and able to pay for it.

Since the 30's and 40's Colt's left the factory with checkered walnut grips, someone along the way replaced them for some reason with the old hard rubber type from a different model Colt.
Thanks a lot; so I will look for some nice pre-war target grips and shoot this Colt!
Peter

·
Registered
606 Posts
Here is an old pic of a Colt Officers Model .38 that I once owned. It was not SAO. It had a skeletonized hammer that I was informed was known as a "Ballinger hammer". I was never able to find out much about it. I sold the revolver a while back as it no longer fit into my Colt collecting interests.

Regards,
Charlie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.