Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the above marked .38 on the barrel but chambered for .38 sp. Serial No. is 462***. Beneath the serial Nos. on frame and crane are additional Nos. that appear to be: 8858 prefaced with the Maltese Cross stamp typically used by the factory ahead of the caliber designation on the barrel. Could this gun have been reworked from .38 to .38 sp by the factory? Has anyone seen similar markings?

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
These Officers Models are chambered for .38 Special, but just say "Officers Model 38" with the cross on either side along the barrel.

If the factory reworked it, there is often a stamped star just to the top left of the trigger guard on the right side.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Altitude. There is indeed a stamp at the top left of the trigger guard. An inverted triangle, not a star. What is the significance of this, if you, or anyone else, might know?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,680 Posts
On Colt DA revolvers the tiny "VP" in a triangle stamped on the left-front of the trigger guard is Colt's Verified Proof stamp, indicating the gun passed it's proof test.

Stamped on the left-rear of the trigger guard is an inspectors stamp, apparently the final inspectors stamp.
Under the serial number on the frame is yet another inspectors stamp, apparently the assemblers stamp.

#462XXX was made in 1920. This model was only made in .32 Colt or .38 Special.
In the pre-war days Colt usually stamped revolvers with just the model name and .38. Since the only longer .38 cartridges available at the time were the .38 Long Colt and .38 Special, and the revolver would shoot both, that was probably thought to be sufficient identification.

I haven't seen a Second Issue Officer's Model so it's very possible that Colt stamped additional numbers and the Cross under the frame serial number, OR it could have been stamped as an issue number for a police agency.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The inverted right triangle is only 1/16" a side and so worn I can't tell if there is a v in the center. I have a friend with a jewelers loupe and I'll look tomorrow then post.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,680 Posts
The Colt Verified Proof stamp is a tiny intertwined "VP" inside the triangle.

Unless it was buffed off during a refinish all Colt handguns made since the early 1900's will have the proof stamp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts