Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I'm a Colt owner (finally) I can post some pics.

I don't have physical posession of the revolver yet, but money has been paid and I'm just waiting for the Canadian gov't to shit out the paperwork through our new $875,000,000 gun registration system.

I know that they are a fairly scarce gun since they were only made from 1949-1952.

I scooped this baby up for about $400 US

Comments welcome

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm hoping that it shoots as good as it looks. I've never owned a Colt before and I hope they aren't as fragile as some people would have us believe.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Standard Factory sights for a OMS. I'm told by the old timers that used them, the last of the good ones. IP

What are those sights? I have never seen any like those before.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could you please show view of those sights from behind rear sight and top showing sight detail. I have shot(and currently own) .22,.32 and .38 Officers match, target and H.B. and Never seen anything like those sights in 40 years

·
Registered
153 Posts
Gordo B,
Take a look at any of the Colt sales listing pictures from the early 50's, they were the standard sights used for them.

Are you saying you have a .32 Officers Model Match ?. I've never seen one of them in that caliber, only seen them in the Officers Model Target, guess we can learn something every day. IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gordo b:
Could you please show view of those sights from behind rear sight and top showing sight detail. I have shot(and currently own) .22,.32 and .38 Officers match, target and H.B. and Never seen anything like those sights in 40 years<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2 Posts
The .32 is a target model. I am not used to that 3rd word deference in model but am paying big attention. I can get a .22 ond .38 OMspecial barrel new unfitted should I get them and install them ? Are they heavier than the Match barrel looks like NO taper. Will they work with ACCRO sights?

·
Registered
97 Posts
gordo,

The term Officers Model is Colt's designation for target revolvers built on the "41" (.41 Long Colt, not 41 Magnum) frame. These revolvers may be divided as follows:

1st series, Officers Model Target, made in 1904-1908. Primarily of interest to collectors, these do not incorporate significant improvements incorporated into the

2nd series, Officers Model Target, made from 1908 through 1948 or so. This series was available in 38 Special, 32 Colt New Police (32 S&W Long)(After 1938 or so) and 22 Long rifle (after 1930). Two different barrel weights were available in the 38 caliber models after the mid 1920's, or according to other information, after 1932. Revolvers made after 1926 are heat treated. Due to the 22's being assigned a serial number range of their own, the 22's are considered by some a seperate issue. 32 cailbre production was very limited, perhaps 850 were made.

3rd series, Officers Model Special revolvers were made from 1948 through 1953 and were available in 22 Long Rifle and 38 Special.

4th series, Officers Model Match revolvers were made from 1953 through 1968 and were available in 22 Long Rifle, 22 Winchester Magnum, and 38 Special.

5th series, Officers Model Match, Mk III revolvers were made in 38 Special only, production was very limited, about 425 were made. These incorporate the same coil spring action as the other Mk III type revolvers, not the traditional Colt vee spring action.

With good ammunition almost any of these fine old revolvers (assuming good mechanical condition)is capable of shooting better than almost anyone can hold. All are capable of making fine scores.

With the price of "shooter" grade OM's here in Ohio running about $250-$450, why alter an old revolver? Remember that you will have to deal with the rear sight too, as the OMS's and OMM's have all sight adjustments in the rear sight while the OMT's are adjusted for widage using the rear sight and elevation with the front sight.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bfoster (edited 12-10-2002).]

·
Registered
281 Posts
My favorite grip style.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
The rear sight is the "Coltmaster."

The full-checkered OMM stocks shown are not original to this revolver. The OMS should have Coltwood plastic service stocks. I suspect these stocks were added early in the revolver's life. Fortunately, the correct Coltwood stocks are easier to find than the full-checkered stocks shown, if you want to return it to original configuration. The full-checkered stocks shown are quite valuable, although less so than if they had the gold medallions as used on the early Python.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For some reason, I have always heard that you cannot own a handgun in Canada. Am I misinformed?

Nice gun by the way...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wilson Dew:
For some reason, I have always heard that you cannot own a handgun in Canada. Am I misinformed?

Nice gun by the way...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Wilson,

You are misinformed. Onwe just has to jump through a lot of hoops to do so however. The only acceptable reasons (to the gov't)for owning a handgun in Canada are target shooting and collecting. Self defense carry and hunting are prohibited with handguns here.

357_fan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the reply. We hear so much anti-gun info about Canada and about handguns not being allowed to go through to Alaska I thought there was no way to have a handgun in your country. If it is not to much trouble can you give us an "outline" of what you have to do to own a handgun up there?

Thanks, again...

Wilson

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just posted a message above, before reading this one, requesting information on a single action version of the Officer's Model.
I have a beautiful .38 special that is an older model than the one pictured here. Mine has sights that are adjustible, front and rear, a heavy barrel and is strictly single action.
It's extremely accurate, as I've been told all the Officer's Models are.
The man I aquired the gun from made me promise not to ever fire anything but mid- range wad cutters thriugh it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JudgeColt:

The full-checkered OMM stocks shown are not original to this revolver. The OMS should have Coltwood plastic service stocks. I suspect these stocks were added early in the revolver's life.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just joined the forum and learned something already.
The Officer`s Model Special I picked up 3 years ago has these same grips. I always assumed they were original.
But even so, I`m not inclined to change back to the originals. This style of grip might not be ideal for .357 mag loads in a Python, but they are very comfortable with .38 loads.

·
Registered
165 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 357_Fan:
Now that I'm a Colt owner (finally) I can post some pics.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice gun. I`ve got one myself. But yours is in much nicer condition.
Mine has some holster wear on the barrel and cylinder. But on the plus side, someone did an excellent action job on the gun.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Plastic was *the* thing in the post-WWII years and Colt went for it hog-wild for a while. I believe the O.M.'s were fit with "Coltwood" plastic stocks for about 5 years in the early '50's or so.

Steve

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
LWCmder45 is right on. I think it was 1955 before all the plastic stocks were finally replaced with wood on all revolvers. (The OMM introduced in 1952 was the first Post-War revolver to use wood stocks, which were the style shown above.) Plastic continued on the automatics until the late 1960s as I recall.

[This message has been edited by JudgeColt (edited 04-09-2003).]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts