Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I have a hankering for an Officer's Model .22. The vintage doesn't matter, but I really don't know anything about them. It will be a plinker, fun gun, blood pressure reducer. I'd like your thoughts about the different models, pros and cons, whatever. I do have one question: do they require standard velocity .22 ammunition? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Hello All, I have a hankering for an Officer's Model .22. The vintage doesn't matter, but I really don't know anything about them. It will be a plinker, fun gun, blood pressure reducer. I'd like your thoughts about the different models, pros and cons, whatever. I do have one question: do they require standard velocity .22 ammunition? Thanks.
These are great guns! The .22 version was first produced in 1930 and the earliest ones used a cylinder that was not cut to support the cartridge rim. These guns were originally recommended for std velocity ammo only. In about 1932, Colt started cutting the cylinder to help support the cartridge rim and were ok'd for hv ammo as well as std velocity ammo. In real life, I shoot most anything in my 1930 and 1941 OMs. The .22 ammo that I shoot is all in the 1200-1300 fps range and works with no problems. The OMs are the same grip size as the Army Special, Official Police, Python, etc so there are lots of stock/grip choices to pick from. If you can find a set, Roper or Sanderson target stocks work quite well but don't allow the use of a speed loader. Fully adjustable sights and a great trigger make the .22 OMs one of the best! Good luck and happy shooting!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. The biggest hurdle will be finding one in good condition for a reasonable price.

I'm not positive about ammo, but I'd be very surprised if they couldn't handle the hottest 22 ammo available. However you will probably get the best accuracy from plain old standard velocity.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
The only one I have in 22 is a 1939 produced model. It is the lightest of all the series and that's fine and preferred by me as any officers model chambered in 22 is heavier than its 38 chambered version. Of course the heaviest would be the 1949-52 produced officers model special. As stated earlier about the recessed chambers, it's an additional safety factor should a case rupture, but I too have fired high speed 22 in a early police positive target with no issues. Now days, we all are wearing safety glasses right?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,609 Posts
For just utility and ease of use, the last version, the Officer's Model Match is a good option.

It has the fully adjustable Colt Accro rear sight and can be easily fitted with the Colt Ellison Target rear. This makes sight changes much easier and faster.
These came standard with the Colt Target hammer and either First or Second Type Colt Target grips.

In addition, it's easier to find a OMM in excellent or better original condition.
Since the OMM was made in limited numbers in .22 Magnum, the .22LR version will handle any .22LR ammo with no problem.
If you find any version of the Officer's Model in good condition with proper adjustment and timing, it will out shoot any DA .22 revolver made.

Here's some info on the Colt Officer's Models:

Officer's Model

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
My preference is the Officers Model Special. I love the heavy barrel. The Officers Model Match has a heavier barrel than the original Officers Model Target models, but lighter than the Officers Model Special. In the Officers Model Match, I am most attracted to the very early models with the full-checkered stocks and the "flat boss" Accro rear sight. The later production guns just do not look right after seeing one of the early production guns. That said, hold out for the one YOU like best. (Or, do like most of us, get one - or more - of each!)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I recently acquired a 1932 Officer's Model Target .22 to go with my 1961 Officers Model Match .22. It took about 5 years of LGS and gun show searching since buying one from one of the auction sites and importing it into CA is difficult and expensive with all the added fees. In fact many auction sellers won't even ship to CA at all.
Anyway, I haven't shot it yet but will likely confine it to standard velocity ammo. The OMM I am less concerned about firing any kind of .22 LR ammo in. Here they are side by side for comparison.

Attachments

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,609 Posts
All the Officer's Model revolvers from the Second Issue on will handle any .22 LR ammo, because of the huge frame and cylinder used on the .38 Special models.
However, the most accurate ammo is almost always Standard Velocity, usually sold as "target" ammunition. It's usually cheaper too.

For the very best accuracy, most .22 rifle and pistol shooters looking for the most accurate ammo in a specific gun will buy a box of every type of ammo they can find and test fire to find the one that shoots the best in THAT gun.
Then they buy a LOT of that ammo.

If you're really serious buy some "Pistol Match" ammo made by Eley, RWS, or CCI. That's very expensive but is almost the the most accurate.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My '64 Officers Model Match .22 seems to like CCI std velocity ammo. Also, does well with some of the older Winchester Dynapoints from an old brick I've kept.

Don

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got an Officers Model Target .22cal that was made in 1940. It has adjustable front and rear sights. Shoots a darn sight better then I can. I use mostly CCI SV ammo, but it also likes Remington golden bullets, Federal Match etc, in fact darn near anything you care to use. Doesn't seem to be to picky about ammo but I seem to get the best results with the CCI.

Good luck in finding just what you are looking for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts