Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently I took this 1940 32 S&W Long OMT out of the safe and mounted it on a Ransom Rest. The purpose was to see how accurate it is and to determine the suitability of Vihtavouri N310 for 32 S&W Long loads. Eleven loads were shot with the best three shown below. The three results shown used cast bullets of 100% linotype. Regards, Ron

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

Text Font Calligraphy Line Ink
n Text Font Handwriting Illustration Drawing
Text Font Handwriting Paper product Illustration

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Nice...old school accuracy! It never goes out of style.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Great job ronthom. My 1938 Officers Model in 32 is probably the most accurate gun I own. I have grown very fond of 32 Colt New Police / 32 Smith and Wesson Long. Thanks for sharing.

Tom

·
Registered
385 Posts
​I just happened have my 1941 Officers Model .32 out today also. Speer 98gn HBWC, CCI primers, Starline brass, bullets seated flush with case mouth @ .928". Bullseye powder @ 1.8gn = 816 fps, and 2.0gn =855fps.

I shot 50 round groups of each load @ 25 yards, arms rested. Both groups measured 1.25", with the tighter cluster from the 816fps group.

I'm going to try around 750fps to maybe tighten things up a bit more.

Suggestions???

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
No squirrel, rabbit, coyote, pest or can is safe in front of this gun. If it were myself, I would be working some 32 HR loads with the bullet seated out in 32 S&WL cases. 32-20 performance with precision accuracy. Its easy to see if you can get to the 900 FPS or more range how easy it would be to "ting" steel or critter at 100 yards or more.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi, thanks for the comments. Yes I cast the bullets myself. One of the reasons for shooting the charges I did was that I had lost my old 32 S&W records (a long story involving carelessness). Recollection tells me that I had my best luck with both the Speer and the Hornady WCs by resizing them and concurrently lightly lubing them with LBT Blue. The Speer and Hornady dry lube could be better. Also, with the Lee WC I get about the same results lubing with Lee's liquid alox! Being old and set in my ways I prefer more conventional lubing. The most consistent tight groups have been with the Lee 80 grain WC which offers the advantage of an affordable six hole mold. The NEI WC looks a little better, is a little heavier and with a few loads is a little more accurate. For a defense load the NEI WC shoots quite well seated out past the front groove with a load of BE or AA N100 (and probably N310) of about 2.4 grains. The load gives a slightly over 1"group at 25 yards with considerably more velocity. Regards, Ron

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks for the extra info. I do not cast, and have several thousand of the Speer bullets on hand, but maybe need to take up another hobby.

I checked my cylinder throats and found they are .314 dia. [measured with caliper] so with the soft Speer swaged bullets I think the size is O.K. No leading in barrel.

The Colt Officers Model .32 is the most enjoyable handgun in my collection to target shoot with.

This morning I loaded up some of the Speer 98gn HBWC down to 755fps [BE 1.6gn] and the group size grew to about 3" with 12 rounds. The Alliant 2016 Reloaders Guide was spot on with it's only listing for the .32 S&W long [BE 1.8gn] except my velocity was about 50fps faster in the Colt Officers Model .32

I would love to post a picture of said revolver but I'm to stupid. I could send it in an email if someone would post it for me.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
No squirrel, rabbit, coyote, pest or can is safe in front of this gun. If it were myself, I would be working some 32 HR loads with the bullet seated out in 32 S&WL cases. 32-20 performance with precision accuracy. Its easy to see if you can get to the 900 FPS or more range how easy it would be to "ting" steel or critter at 100 yards or more.
It sounds like the original poster has a good load or two. I would not try to make an H&R Magnum out of a .32 S&W. The SAAMI max pressure for the S&W case is 12,000 C.U.P., the .32 H&R is almost double, at 21,000 C.U.P. I don't show any loads in my book for .32-20 that are within the .32 S&W pressure either. There is more to case design than capacity. This is a mild 750fps target round, not a silhouette round or a 100 yard hunting round.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the extra info. I do not cast, and have several thousand of the Speer bullets on hand, but maybe need to take up another hobby.

I checked my cylinder throats and found they are .314 dia. [measured with caliper] so with the soft Speer swaged bullets I think the size is O.K. No leading in barrel.

The Colt Officers Model .32 is the most enjoyable handgun in my collection to target shoo

This morning I loaded up some of the Speer 98gn HBWC down to 755fps [BE 1.6gn] and the group size grew to about 3" with 12 rounds. The Alliant 2016 Reloaders Guide was spot on with it's only listing for the .32 S&W long [BE 1.8gn] except my velocity was about 50fps faster in the Colt Officers Model .32

I would love to post a picture of said revolver but I'm to stupid. I could send it in an email if someone would post it for me.
Pardon the late response. The reason I re-size most HB wadcutters is to facilitate their seating in the case. For the most part if not sized smaller I have to choose between too tight a fit (shaving or warping potential) or too snug of a cylinder fit. Additionally, the sizer applied "overlube lube" seems to be a benefit. Although, honestly, I seldom use boxed WCs and probably will never again use a Lapua WC. Velocity: I would keep velocity very low with HB wadcutters - in my opinion anv charge over about a grain and a half of fast powder will sooner or later result in a bullet separation in the barrel leaving a substantial amount of lead, in a ring, in the barrel - the next shot will likely ring the barrel of an irreplaceable OMT 32. I suspect many who choose factory full base wadcutters over hollow base wadcutters do it for this reason. Regards Ron

P.S. Vihtavouri N310 is probably the only common fast pistol powder that meters perfectly.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I agree that high velocity while using a hollow base wadcutter may cause skirt separation, the Speer 2016 Reloader's Guide is specific to their bullet, and lists the charge of BE 1.8gn for a velocity of 777fps. I tend to believe the bullet manufacture's data. When loading any hbwc I would consider 850fps max to prevent skirt separation. Hodgdon's data lists 2 loads over 850fps for the Speer 98gn hbwc bullet.

I am going to pick up a can of VV- N310 and give it a try. I always thought that brand was to expensive and never tried it.

Thank to all for putting up with my thread drift. I will move to the reloading section if there is any interest in further discussion.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

The Colt Officers Model .32 is the most enjoyable handgun in my collection to target shoot with.

Beecherkid, send me an email with the picture and I'll post it for you. I will Private message you with my email address-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.