Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just a question on a firearm that I'm looking to make an offer on...

I haven't yet seen the revolver (or pics for that matter) but the seller has said that it was manufactured in 1951, which is odd because i understand that manufacture of the OMT only ran up to 1949 in the Third Issue. Further to that, Colt Fever says that the OMT Third Issue was only offered in the 6 inch barrel length post WW2, whereas this revolver has a 7.5 inch barrel.

Could this be a Second Issue and the seller has got the incorrect DOB? Or were OMTs with 7.5 inch barrels indeed made as late as 1951.

Any tips are welcome... I can shed more light on this in a couple of weeks once i've seen it and written down the serial number.

all the best

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
The seller could be misconstruing shipping date with manufacturing date or be going by original date of sale. They could well be three different years if the revolver sat on a dealer or distributor shelf for a while. It could even have been assembled of leftover parts after regular production has been dropped from the catalog.

It could have been re-barreled or a non-standard production anomaly such as a special order.

The serial number and photos will be of help but only an archives letter will provide the actual data of how it left Hartford needed to come up with a realistic value.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,626 Posts
The Officer's Model Second Issue was sold with a 7.5 inch barrel.
These were made from 1908 to 1926 and was the only Officer's Model that had the 7.5 inch barrel option.
The last patent date on the barrel was July 4, 1905.

The Second Issue was known only as the Officer's Model. The Officer's Model began using the "Target" designation with the Third Issue, made from 1927 to 1949, and was named, but not usually marked as the Office's Model Target.

I suspect the owner just got the date wrong.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the feedback.

I'll see if the serial number can pin it to the Second Issue time frame '08 -'26, otherwise it probably is a rebarrel.

Proofhouse doesn't have the OMT serial numbers. Is there another database i could check against?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,626 Posts
Proofhouse has the early Officer's Model serial numbers listed with the Army Special.
These numbers are right below the 1905 Marine Model.

This data runs from 1908 to 1927.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello All

A quick update...

I finally had a look at that OMT and it was unfortunately in very poor condition...i think it was stored in the seller's toolbox for the past several decades!!

needless to say, i did not make an offer.

cheers

·
The Consummate Collector
7,190 Posts
If you are looking for a 7 1/2" I do have an extra. It is a pre war Officers Model Target. Send me a PM and I can fill you in.

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
Buying a pre-war Colt revolver from Cam is like buying a used car that belonged to the wife of a master mechanic... you can't go wrong!:cool:

I can vouch for that.

Reactions: thecoltguy

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I have a 7&1/2" OM and it's a great shooter. The longer sight radius works out very well for me.
And also, I can echo the statements above, about buying a gun from Cam. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
661 Posts
No...Colt Officers Model Match revolvers are 1950's era. Not 1905.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts