Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 1937 Officers Model Heavy Barrel in 38 Special with a King rib, sights and King offset hammer. The revolver is in excellent condition with little evidence of use. I have a set of second generation Colt Python grips (smiley curve at top of checkering) and thought these grips would be a better set of shooting grips than the factory grips.

However, much to my surprise, they won't fit! The photo shows where the screw hole is located on the Python grips and it is situated about 1/8th inch too high and the Python grip screw hits the steel web in the grip frame and will not go all the way to the other grip panel (see photo). Is this a typical problem with the use of Python grips on Officer Models? would a first generation (full checkered) fit? I am reluctant to purchase another set of Python grips and run into the same problem again. That said, I feel fortunate to have found and bought this nice pre-war Colt.

20210501_112306.jpg
20210501_112106.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What style Herretts did you order? Similar to Python or S & W factory target grips? I would like to find a set of Roper grips but don't have use for full target version....Keith Brown 'Ropers' would be nice also, but appears he is taking no new orders as of first of 2020.....on line auctions for Roper or Brown grips have some pretty big $ amounts.....

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
Look on eBay for Herrett's. Herrett's for Colt still seem to be reasonably priced after the auction ends, S & W not so much.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
A set of first type fully checkered Officers Model Match have a lower position for the screw hole. They will fit. If you still want to use the set you have, you will have to file a notch in the web of the frame.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What style Herretts did you order? Similar to Python or S & W factory target grips? I would like to find a set of Roper grips but don't have use for full target version....Keith Brown 'Ropers' would be nice also, but appears he is taking no new orders as of first of 2020.....on line auctions for Roper or Brown grips have some pretty big $ amounts.....
I ordered a set of Finger grip troopers with an open back. Technically I ordered it for my 6” official police, as it is going to likely be my woods carry gun. It’s only been a week since I sent in the order, so it’s going to be a few months before I can post an update. I’ll come back and update this once I receive them.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I recently acquired a 1937 Officers Model Heavy Barrel in 38 Special with a King rib, sights and King offset hammer. The revolver is in excellent condition with little evidence of use. I have a set of second generation Colt Python grips (smiley curve at top of checkering) and thought these grips would be a better set of shooting grips than the factory grips.

However, much to my surprise, they won't fit! The photo shows where the screw hole is located on the Python grips and it is situated about 1/8th inch too high and the Python grip screw hits the steel web in the grip frame and will not go all the way to the other grip panel (see photo). Is this a typical problem with the use of Python grips on Officer Models? would a first generation (full checkered) fit? I am reluctant to purchase another set of Python grips and run into the same problem again. That said, I feel fortunate to have found and bought this nice pre-war Colt.

View attachment 736986 View attachment 736987
I ran into the same issue with a late 1952 made Officers Model Special. See the attached thread with photos:

The web cutout on your OMM is slightly different than what was used for later models including the Trooper and Python, which of course use the same grip. On those guns the web cutout is perfectly round and higher. Fully checkered 1st issue grips come in versions with the screw higher or lower, so simply getting 1st issue grips doesn't guarantee proper fit. You'll have to look for a set with the grip screw being lower on the grip - just a matter of recognizing the difference. I think once you know what to look for you'll readily see the difference. See post #9 as it has examples of each.

I was fortunate enough, after finding my "regular 1st issue" didn't fit, to find a set here from another forum member.

From what I've read there's no great harm doing a little file work on the web to allow the screw to pass through, but I wanted to keep things original. Which as it turns out, maybe I did or maybe I didn't. Since your gun has been modified I'd say a notch no one will see probably doesn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You aren't the only one to have problems, I bought these Hogues and they came with a letter from Guy Hogue explaining he had adjusted the grips and if the customer had anymore problems to contact him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts