Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I found two nice old Colt .22 handguns and today I found a third! No, I wasn't really shopping for one but just stumbled across them while browsing. Now I have to own one- but which one? Should I get all three?

First is a Colt Officers Model Match in 95- 98% condition for $495. Everything looks original including the grips. The other choice is a Colt Officers Model Special in 90% condition for $350. Again, it appears all original. Finally, today I discovered a 90% Colt Officers Model Target in 90% condition for $400. The grips are not original.

I don't know much about these guns but I understand the Target was a pre-WWII gun. The Special was introduced in the early 1950's and evolved into the Match during the mid-1950's. I like the feel and appearance of the Match model.

Is there any real difference between these guns or should I base my decision only on condition and price? I'm not looking to start a Colt .22 collection but would like to have something really special as a shooter. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Rodgers: What a happy dilemma to have! That is the kind of thing I could spend hours analyzing. If you are going to seriously shoot them, I would say pick the one that feels best to you in your hand and gives the best sight picture. Otherwise, I tend to favor condition, age, relative scarcity, and price in that order for guns of the same general type and caliber. Good luck, and let us know which one you pick. Charlie

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I took the easy way out and purchased all three of them. I plan to take my time over-analyzing their merits and keep the one I like the most. Someday I'll likely sell the other two because I'll have some new gun obsession.

I'll give you a range report later in the summer!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Rodgers,
If all three are in about the same condition I would bet that the OMT and the OMS, will be better fit and shoot better than the OMM if all three are shot with good match ammo.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rodgers330:
Well, I took the easy way out and purchased all three of them. I plan to take my time over-analyzing their merits and keep the one I like the most. Someday I'll likely sell the other two because I'll have some new gun obsession.

I'll give you a range report later in the summer!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts