Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
manderson; I beleve those target stocks were made by the Walter P Murad firm,better known for their "Pointer Pups" series of plastic grips.

I have seen these offered on eBay,usually going for 15 bucks or so at end of bidding.

Original? Doubtful! But original owner could have put them on right away upon purchase. "Correct" stocks would be the redddish brown plastic "Coltwood",standard from right after the war until early 50's; they are not expensive,nor hard to find on eBay etc. Always find it kind of "odd" that these well finished Colts.had the cheap appearing Coltwood stocks to adorn them! A cost saving measure,no doubt! I once bought a .22 O.Police from the same era,with pre war wood stocks,and original owner of the gun,said he couldm't stand the "plastic",so tossed em,and replaced them.IIRC,the first Colts to get the wooden stocks back again(in the large target type),were the Officers Models,and the then,top of the line, 357 Model in the early,mid 50's.

It is a beautiful appearing gun,and I've come to appreciate the dual tone blue first for its utilitarian value,and lately its appearance.This was one of the "rationalizations" I used to recently buy a nearly mint S&W older Highway Patrolman,a model that I used to think was roughly finished, But,at $225 OTD,price was right too!

Bud

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
The only Officers model Special grips/stocks I've ever seen that were factory are these...

I personally have never seen plastic target style grips on that gun.
I would think if they were indeed factory, there would be a pony/colt/horse located somewhere on the grips.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I agree with the assessment they are aftermarket grips. All my Officers Model Specials, including the OMS 22's, have the plastic 'Coltwood' grips, and that was standard issue for the brief time the OMS was produced in the early 50's....'49-'52, if memory is correct. The wood grips(stocks for the purists among us) were available from Colt, but the plastic monstrosities in the auction photo were definitely added later. It's common to see the various OM revolvers with thumb rest Roper grips, and/or assorted wood and plastic Roper style aftermarket replacements.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts