Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months back, I asked a question about an Officers Model Target I had that did not "jive" due to a Heavy Barrel being on the revolver. From the responses I received, the Barrel had been changed at some point. Well, I finally got around to cleaning the revolver action. Once I opened the action, it was very clean and in excellent condition, just needed oiling and some lube in strategic places. Since I knew the Barrel had been changed, and learning a lot these past months, know why a revolver manufactured in 1912 was still in such good condition! When I took the Plates off the frame, I saw a Colt rework stamp of "507" on the grip frame. I am assuming the revolver was sent to Colt and refurbished in July of 1950. Is this dating of the rework correct?

From the condition of the action and the parts, it appears to have been completely overhauled back to like new condition including a new Colt reblue job. Since it was a Colt complete overhaul, does this lower the value of this fine revolver? The only thing that still appears to be original are the Plates with a Gold Colt Medallion. Without all the great posts and help from the Forum, I would never have know this without a Letter!!!!!!

Here is a photo of the revolver:

Revolver Bicycle accessory Gun barrel Metal

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

Attachments

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Nice revolver and obviously the owner thought enough of it to have Colt give it the complete makeover. I'd think with Colt doing the work, if that's indeed the whole history, then the value would certainly be maintained. Would a 10 or 20 percent devaluation be placed on a Colt reworked Officer Model? I'm not sure there is an exact figure, if any, that would be accurate though members with a better grasp, like Cam, of the DA would know much better than most.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments guys! This is definetly a nice looking revolver that has not been shot much since the rebuild in 1950. I would not have know this if I had not been on this Forum. By asking questions, I learn, and by reading books, I learn, but the best part is having you guys here to help. I remembered reading a post about the Colt rebuild Date Stamp. I took the grips off the Officers Model Target and sure enough, there it was! When I lubricates the action, I saw this number, but did not know what it was and just thought it was a Colt Internal number during manufacture. Now I know more about the revolver and that it has been used and well taken care of in it's life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.