Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Officer\'s Target 2nd model, ? about stocks

Were stocks for the 2nd model Officer's Target finished in oil? The stocks on this revolver are shiny, as if they were polished. The other Officer Targets I have don't have this nice finish, they aren't as old as this one though. Serial is 431534, stocks are numbered to it. Finish is 85%, has not been shot much. I found this on an auction site, the seller did not call it a 2nd model but did give the last patent date. The bids were low and I got it at a good price. It is 38SPL. Even with the finish wear, it is a beautiful revolver.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Re: Officer\'s Target 2nd model, ? about stocks

Gunfish; without seing your nice Officers Model,made in 1918,I can't say if the grips are highly polished oil,or varnished.

But I do know,that it wears one of the several sets of optional stocks that the factory had available. The earliest Officers Models,built on the old 1890's Army/Navy "left wheeler" frame,had non medallion "fleur de leis"(sp?) stocks,as did the Nerw Service Targets. Somewhere,in the "teens" medallions went on the fleur de leis,but I have seen the type of medallion diamond stock yours wears,as well as some non medallions,with a diamond and a concave top,where the checkering ends. I bought a pair,plus the sights of a Camp Perry Colt parts gun,that had been wrecked by a previous owner!

Anyway,Colts made prior to World War 2 always show meticulous hand fitting,especially the target guns. Don't be afraid to shoot the octogenarian gun,especially with mild target full wad cutters:you won't find a new "out of the box" gun to even come close in action and accuracy. Bud

·
Registered
535 Posts

WOW, Mr. Gunfish! That's a gorgeous piece, whatever issue! And I LOVE those grips! Any Officer's Colt will be great bullseye gun - to my experience. I've been a fan of the skinny service stocks for a long time ... they give you a real feel for the frame of the gun and don't gum up speed loaders or re-loading of any kind. I think the trick to them is they don't allow you to grip-the-grip and make you control the frame and, subsequnetly, the sights. They can sting a bit with magnums, as in the Python and 357 and original Troopers but for 38 wadcutters, no problem. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts

I love the early wood Colt stocks. I believe your finish is correct, as, during the time this style was being made, varnish was the standard finish. I am sorry I missed this one on one of the auction sites. Where was it listed?

[This message has been edited by JudgeColt (edited 06-04-2005).]

·
Registered
909 Posts

Gunfish - I believe they were varnished. These are the so called "deep dish" medallion stocks which I believe were only used on the 2nd issue Officer's Model. (Maybe NS Target, too?) Looks just like mine, including the bead front sight (lousy on paper but great in the woods).

Nice gun and a great shooter, congrats!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

It was on AuctionArms. Thanks for all the replies, I have no references for Colt. I have been looking for one of Wilson's books at shows but have only found SAA books.

·
Registered
132 Posts

I have a 2d Model made in 1921. Grips are just like those pictured, only not glossy. I'm a little sceptical that it's original.

But who knows?

Best,
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill A (edited 06-14-2005).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts