Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a Colt Officer's Model Target (.38 spl.), that came with stag grips that have the Colt emblem in them. Might these actually be original grips, or after market grips?

I prefer original wood grips with Colt emblem, where might I find them?

Thanks!

If you look at this thread, 7th post down, second picture, these are the same type of grips.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/photos-area/52580-officers-models.html

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
It's at least possible the gun was a special order with the stag grips, but this is usually not likely, most were after market.
Only a Colt Archive letter can tell you for sure.

You can occasionally find original Colt pre-war "Service" type grips on Ebay, the gun auction sites, and by positing a wanted ad on this forums Classified section below.

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
What year is your pre-war officers model? There are at least 2 styles. If it post 1923 it would be the more common type that was also used on the official police and late army special. OK, I re-read your post and those are the more common later style.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
serial#780XXX what looks to be a lightly stamped "6" or "G" below the SN The Colt emblem is gold.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
Around 1924 Colt stopped using the hard black rubber grips with molded in checkering and Colt logos, and started using checkered walnut on all guns. The Colt medallions were silver. All guns got silver medallions until the Colt Python of 1955 got Gold.
Only the Python got Gold, all others continued with silver until in the 70's other Colt's began getting Gold too.

You Colt is a pre-war Officer's Model so the medallions would have been silver.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks gentlemen.
I'm assuming you say it's a pre-war model based on the serial number. I'm pleased about that.

I only recently began looking for Colt revolvers based on a negative experience I had back in the late 70s. My first center fire revolver was a Colt Trooper, (Mk 3 I believe). Bought new, it had the disturbing attribute of firing without pulling the trigger when the hammer was cocked for single action shooting. Very unnerving, sent it back to Colt for "fix", but when it returned, it did the same thing. Swapped it for A S&W model 19 and never looked back. Since then my idea was Colt semi Autos, of which I've have/had several, and Smith revolvers. Never liked Smith semis other then their first, the model 39.
I was working at a gun shop and they got a load of security company barely used Official Police, sold to employees for $165. (in 1991). Consulted with knowledgeable friends who gave it a first class rating, mostly just minimum holster wear. After that mostly stuck to S&Ws. Started to take an interest in Colts recently and traded a DWM Brazilian contract Mauser for a Detective Special. I got hooked, and traded a couple of consignment safe queen guns for this officers model, and a rare S&W model 18 3Ts.
It's ironic that the one bad experience with the Trooper put me off these really fine revolvers, and now I regret not having a Python, (one in the LGS nickel 4 " for $2500), a .22 and .38 Diamondback, and various other Colts. Now I'm on the lookout for any nice Colts that come along. Unfortunately where I live (only one gun store, but a big one), not many come along, but am moving to a large metropolitan area for the winter that has several stores, and am looking forward to doing some Colt hunting and trading. I know Smiths really well, but have a steep learning curve coming up with all the Colt models out there:Cobra, Police Positive Agent, etc. The LGS has a PP in stainless or nickel, but the barrel is totally shot out to an extent that I've never seen a revolver like that, especially since I don't believe this is a gun that would be used in competition and have thousands of rounds put through it.

Anyway, you'll probably be hearing from me with lots of questions about Colt revolvers in the near future and appreciate the expertise to be found on this forum.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
940 Posts
That's my revolver you referenced & the stags were made by Patrick Grashorn from elk antlers. Not in any way original Colt grips.Regards,turnerriver

1 - 7 of 7 Posts