Colt Forum banner

201 - 220 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
This is my 1860 (1862) Colt Army.

It's been used and abused but I finally bought my first original.

I found out that it was once sold there through auction:
OH "J", I am Sooo sorry for you scoring your first original Colt. You now have the disease. and the only cure is more Colt originals...
you will wake up in the middle of the night and go to the site to place bids, you will search everywhere for the one you want.
and then......you will check the USPS Tracking number twenty times a day to see where it is and when it will be there...
Oh. so sorry for you....
From the rest of us with this dreaded disease. Ken
IMG_0622.jpg

·
Registered
221 Posts
This is a LONG thread!! Obviously many Colt percussion revolver fans among us....
The first three are my 1849 Pocket (built 1863), the last 3 my 1851 Navy (made in 1854)
I have a relative who fought in the Civil War, therefore my interst in these fine old guns- he carried an 1851 Navy. I couldn't pass up the 1849 Pocket when I saw it... beautiful little gun.
1849 3.JPG
1849 7.JPG
1849 9.JPG
1851 1.JPG
1851 4.JPG
1851 6.JPG

My first two originals.!

·
Registered
221 Posts
OH "J", I am Sooo sorry for you scoring your first original Colt. You now have the disease. and the only cure is more Colt originals...
you will wake up in the middle of the night and go to the site to place bids, you will search everywhere for the one you want.
and then......you will check the USPS Tracking number twenty times a day to see where it is and when it will be there...
Oh. so sorry for you....
From the rest of us with this dreaded disease. Ken View attachment 727170
Very nice collection!! and a good display :) Well done!
Difficulty with these Colts are the many variations and models; there's always that hole in a collection which needs to be filled...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey RSAW, two very nice Colts. condition is not like you usually find....good catch....
now on to the next one...right? Ken

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeess.... it’s hard to say”no” as you can appreciate. I recently saw an 1851 Navy with a Hartford adress. Quoted as “mint.” Too expensive for me, but that’s ok.
AND saw a Ni plated Open Top .44 RF, ivory grips- really nice!! BUT... have to wait...
it’s fun seeing these old guns.... history comes alive :))

·
Registered
256 Posts
It easy to say NO. ...watch..
Yes I'll take it.
wait. I'll try again
I want it and I want it now!
Ok..one more try...
I need it for my collection..
OK I'll give up now...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Beautiful!! Looks like it just came off the assmebly line!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I hear their sorta rare. I damn near stole this one....

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Can you believe the Mrs chose that new Colt 1860 Army over a mint 44 AutoMag as a birthday gift in 1980?
Sad but true. :eek:
The following year she received a Diamondback 22LR/6".
The Army is still unfired.
Pic with a Smith 460 Navy...???
Early version of my Rouge Wave grip.
Might make the escutcheon shaped like a boat.... so the Rouge Wave is a happy wave.... as in JB Meek's book page 171.

·
Registered
221 Posts
A question for you all out there- if you recently bought a mint condition firearm for a “very reasonable price” (in your opinion, taking a bit of a chance on its authenticity due to its pristine condition) and later discovered a photo of this firearm in a Colt collector’s book (e.g. RL Wilson) - would that count as acceptable provenance? Would the value of the gun be affected? Thanks.

Reactions: victorio1sw

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
A question for you all out there- if you recently bought a mint condition firearm for a “very reasonable price” (in your opinion, taking a bit of a chance on its authenticity due to its pristine condition) and later discovered a photo of this firearm in a Colt collector’s book (e.g. RL Wilson) - would that count as acceptable provenance? Would the value of the gun be affected? Thanks.
Well, as in the case of Serial Number 1, Colt Open Top 44 Rimfire, you may discover that some idiot re-blued it (as did happen)! And yes, that crushes the value.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi Victorio,
That’s pretty awful..... good point.
In this case though, the gun is unchanged between the photo (must be around 1985- year of publication) and the present. Of course, that says nothing about what happened to the gun between 1870 and 1985. All stamps, address, cylinder scene, etc are clear and sharp. Case hardening, untouched- virtually perfect. Address, same. Quite a lot of the silver plating is worn off though. Opinions, comments? Thanks Victorio!

Reactions: victorio1sw

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a SAA Colt listed as a Virginia buy back in Cochrans' book by serial number
It is the same config. as when it was listed 25 years or more ago.
just some more info.....nice though..Ken

·
Registered
221 Posts
It's pretty cool when you can find one of your own guns in such a publication.... Then I wonder where it has been all this time. Guns just pass from one collection to another; they are owned by many people, hopefully enjoyed, appreciated and cared for by the same.....

·
Registered
256 Posts
my SAA was Calamity Janes personal hideout gun, or....Bat Mastersons' backup at the card table,...or Wyatt's in the OK shootout
OK.. 'could have been' maybe....possibly... o_O

·
Registered
221 Posts
These percussions are in a class by themselves! I have seen them here, but the market is limited. I wonder how these beauties will fare in the coming years; it seems that most younger gun enthusiasts are opting for more modern weapons. It would be a shame if the history of the western expansion, the 1849 Gold Rush, 1849 Pocket’s, 1851 Navy’s, etc would be slowly lost.... I really enjoy my collection, and re-experiencing my years in the not so old West.

201 - 220 of 232 Posts