Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread on the grail gun reminded me that I stunbled across a 4 inch Official Police .22 L.R. that wasn't, in my opinion, over priced and I could do a layaway.
Nothing special but it looks like a nice shooter with some honest wear.

Colt Official Police 22LR 4" for sale

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picked the O. P. 22 up today. Some honest wear, but overall nicer then I expected.
The general consensus seems to be if the rear sideplate screw is a flathead screw is that is an indication of the oversized stocks. This O. P. has a rear flathead screw and I'm inclined to think it is original.
Photos Tomorrow.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Very nice. I passed on a parkerized one a month or so ago, then found a OMT .22 that was much more to my liking.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,425 Posts
Congratulations on finding your Grail Gun. A few of these were known to have been made before WWII and then Colt continued offering the 4" barrel after the war but most of the .22 caliber sold had the 6" barrel making these quite collectible. Here is one of the pre-war Official Police 4" barrel .22 caliber:

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
COLT's serial number data base puts this one as 1966. HPIM4346 (2).JPG
After taking this shot my camera is kaput, the door that holds the batteries in is broken. I took some photos with my phone, which I can barely make a phone call with, managed to send them to myself, but the pictures aren't what I'm used to posting. I'll be playing with it some more no sense in getting another camera.

O. P. 22-5.jpg

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Glad you found your grail gun. I found this one for my birth year (1952) colt collection last year. Looks unfired but does have some light wear marks. Sounds like I was lucky to find the 4" version. Sorry for the wacky picture format but sometimes the computer is much smarter than I am!

20190727_174636.jpg 20190727_174700 (1).jpg

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
You should get it lettered. Like Cam’s it may be a Loch shipped or loan account shipped gun. Also curious if it has the light trigger pull like his which may be a clue as to it’s destination.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally getting to the range tomorrow, weather permitting. Its been too hot here in FL with the heat index over 100 or raining.
But we're planing on going down early in the am, can't shoot at our club until 9 on Sundays, so not that early, and hopefully beat the heat.

Bringing this O. P. as well as my O. P. 38 Special, and the 357.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I missed this thread when originally posted. Congratulations on a great looking revolver. I’m sure it will be an awesome shooter. Thanks for sharing with us.

Tom

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should get it lettered. Like Cam’s it may be a Loch shipped or loan account shipped gun. Also curious if it has the light trigger pull like his which may be a clue as to it’s destination.
This O. P. 22 is one smooth shooting Colt, real nice.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nice 4" OP's. I've had a 6" OP .22 LR 'bout 10 years now and it is wonderfully accurate.
Someone had undercut the front sight, but the rest of the OP is all original n' correct.
This 6"er made in 1938. Yes, I do carry it afield in the old holster shown.
Mine are all 4 inch, .22 & .38 O. P.; .38 Trooper & 357. Also have an Army Special in 32-20.

I cleaned the .22 yesterday, probably wasn't cleaned in awhile. Cleaned the .38 this am, it also has a pretty smooth action. Both shot well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts