Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 6" .22LR Colt Official Police in excellent condition (no box) for $265. I'm not really wondering if it was a good buy or not as it was "one I could not resist." I'm not sure it has ever been shot but I'm getting ready to do so.

I am interested in finding out the date of mfg. if some can please provide it. Last date on top of barrel is "Oct 5 1926." serial number is 11272.

Thanks!

------------------
C&L

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
d-b68...thanks for the info. It really is a tight group shooter and looks good along with my 6" OP .38 spec.

thanks

------------------
C&L

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
C&L....... Looks like you got a pretty good deal on that gun too. Depending on condition, I've seen them go for upward of $500, so you did OK, even though I know that was not your priority. Good going, you have a fine piece there

·
Registered
52 Posts
FYI....

As I understand things, the "Oct 5, 1926" date was the date of patent issuance on a new (at that time) process for heat treating/hardening steel which process Colt used on its handguns through the 1940's into the mid-50's when new advances in metallurgy superceded the earlier process.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK...thanks, that's an interesting bit of info. I like the patent dates on the older Colts and Smiths.

------------------
C&L

1 - 6 of 6 Posts