Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up a like new .22 Official Police today at my LGS. I have been looking for a Colt DA .22 for years at an affordable price, and this is my first. It is a 6", serial #37xxx, dating it to 1952 according to Wilson's book. It has the duotone finish with the cylinder flutes, trigger guard, underside of the frame, topstrap, and grip frame dull. It also has Coltwood plastic stocks. I would assume these are period correct from what I have read here. I notice that the chambers are recessed for the case heads, I believe this was for high-speed ammo. I remember reading that the earliest Colt .22s were not rated for high speed for this reason. The rear of the cylinder also has a kind of raised area where the charge holes are. Is this for headspace? I know these are not easy to find in .22. I've seen only two others in my lifetime. The guns looks like new and is very clean, with just a light turn line. It looks to me like it has hardly ever been fired. I took it home for $550 plus tax. This seemed reasonable considering what I see them going for on Gunbroker. I would love to hear from the experts if I got a good deal and if the stocks are correct. All comments are welcome! Here are the pics:

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Good Deal. Yours looks all correct to me. I have a 6"OP in .22 and it shoots a very tight group. Try some 40 grain federal plated LR's and some Wolf Match target 22 LR's. They both shoot great in mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.