Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tomorrow i am going to look at an official police .22 revolver 6" said to be in about 80% condition (mostly due to wear/scuffs on the grips) the guy selling it wants $290, any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,464 Posts
It depends on the age of the revolver. The model was made from 1930 through 1969. The earlier, the more value. A gun in such poor condition is not very collectable, but would be a fine shooter. Whether the price is fair depends on the age and orginality.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hello--

I have a pre-war .22 Official Police (6" barrel)that I paid about 200 bucks for. Great gun, very elegant with the long thin barrel and fixed sights.

Bill A

·
Registered
535 Posts
Greetings, Rich! There's several of us around these pages that really like Colt O.P.'s, including me. Personally, unless a man were to still be carrying a .38 OP for police duty and wanted the .22 for cheaper target practice, I'd hunt around more and try for an Officer's Model Target or Special or Match in .22 for target shooting. The sights make all the difference in the world to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry i took so long, if anyone is still interested heres what happened,
i went to see the guy selling the O.P. and the gun is...well... it looked like hell and someone convinced this guy it is a collectors item. the most horrible thing was the homemade grips they were a cross between a prison knife handle and a ruger mark 1 grip with the thumbrest. a lot of the bluing was gone. the gun sure was tight though, i just bet it's a shooter. just for grins i asked if he had anything else, he says nothing worth anything, and proceeds to produce a pristine Smith and Wesson model 10 witha 4" tapered barrel, looks almost unfired, i couldn't believe these two guns belonged to the same guy. anyhow he was calling the model 10 common and not worth anything said if i gave him $100 i could have it, so i did. i checked the serial # it is a 1967 produced gun (same as me) so i am happy. but there's more. a few days go by and i guess he got the feeling that the O.P. as good a gun as it might be is nobodys collector piece, he asked what i'd give for it. i said i'd like to pay $100 and i'd think about $150 he seemed somewhat ammenable to that so who knows. i figure if i get it i'll first get a set of those black colt grips and then send it to robar for a refinish, they have a finish that supposedly looks like bluing but is much more durable and wheather resistant. it won't be as pretty as colt bluing but is colt bluing still what it was? will they re blue a gun these days? anyhow thanks for the replies fellas i'll post the outcome. -Rich

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hey,Rich! Anything that shoots is worth $100, ain't it?! Nothing wrong with an S&W #10, either. I've used those and Colt official Police revolvers a good bit and prefer the Colt - I've found them to be more accurate and better in single action mode; the S&W better in double-action. I can't get over $100 for it!? In New York?! I thought hamburgers cost $100 in N.Y.? From these pages, I gather the Colt factory will do rebluing and some repairs, but I don't know first-hand. Keep me informed, if you send it to them, if you would. I've got a couple candidates for them, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts