Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, Colt Forum Members! Former member here, that drifted away from this forum for the last couple of years. I went by "Official Police" as my password. I retired in July 2016 as a deputy sheriff, making a total of 45-years service, with my PD job thrown in for good measure. I was Chief of Police in a small Georgia town during the 80's and into the early 90's, before retiring (changing jobs) and working as a supervisor of a small group of deputies at an infamous place referred to as "Fort Apache", a large building that houses the Welfare Office, Health Department, and 5-Mental Health clinics. It was get-to-go at the Fort, as I just thought I had a cushy job before retiring for good. I humbly apologize for my extended absence from this great forum. For most of the duration of this career, I carried three different model Colts. The Official Police, the Metropolitan, and the Police Positive Special. All .38's, and all cop six-guns! I weathered the great change-over in 1992 to the semi-automatic pistol. I was graciously grand-fathered in with my Colt by leadership, a real privilege, when I reflect back on it. I just had to qualify yearly for the State of Georgia mandated course-of-fire. Please be so kind as to excuse this too long of a introduction of myself. I thought some of the recent year members might find that there was a cop still packing a revolver, a Colt Revolver (OP) in 2016. I have not completely quit, as I continue to serve as a Reserve Deputy, pulling security in the courtrooms of Columbus. Georgia. That old "Official Police" that I first carried in 1971 as a rookie is "still" residing in my duty holster today. I will post pics asap, if interest indicated. Thanks for your patience!

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Glad to hear from you again.
While underrated today the .38 Special had dispatched it share of bad guys, and I'm sure more than its share of critters.

I like my Official Police, so much so that I recently added an O. P. .22, both 4 inch.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Please post some pics as they are always nice to look at especially with Service holsters. These were a mainstay foe the Law Enforcement as you stated and are very accurate. The semis are nice but too easy to spray and pray where the old revolver made one more sure of each shot. IMO

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
When I first hired into Lockheed as a security guard in 1965 we had 4" official polices. I checked the dates on some and they all dated about to the Korean war. We also had older officers model matches (6"`s) they used to train us with, probably from world war 2. As time went on we were issued Ruger speed six`s and Smiths 586`s all in 4". Eventually I was the oldest seniority guard there and retired in 2,000. Right up to the end I preferred to carry the old official police`s. In fact most were sold off and I almost think they kept just a couple for me as the newbys all liked the new smiths. I went for light weight. The rugers and smiths were heavier and more bulky.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'll say welcome aboard, as I wasn't here when you departed. My service gun was a 4" Trooper Mk 3, with a 2" DS for off-duty carry. I changed careers in 76 after a major disagreement with the Chief about selective enforcement in a small town. But I'm still a Colt man.

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
Thanks for your service. Life is about choices. You choose public service and hope the rewards outweighed the less than desirable days. As you transition into the next phase of life, hope your health stays with you to enjoy life on your terms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very nice story, it was an interesting read. I also have a colt official police revolver in .38 that was my great grandfathers who was a police officer from 1926 till 1954 retiring as a captain. It was his duty weapon and has stayed in the family.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts