Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just acquired my first Colt revolver. Its an Official Police .38, 4" barrel, Plastic Colt grips (are these common?), serial 790XXX in probably 50% finish although there is very little pitting and no rust. I think it would be a very good candidate to re-blue. Any comments about that? The mechanical fit and condition is extremely good; very tight action. Smooth pleasant DA, very light, crisp SA. I doubt if it has been fired much more than a box or two of ammo in its life. I have not shot it yet myself, but plan to later today or tomorrow. Can anyone tell me when it was made? I paid under $200 for it. Did I get a good deal, or was I bilked?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Colt did have the Coltwood plastic grips on the early post-war OPs. Under $200 sounds like a good ballpark figure. I can't date it for you, but someone will. The serial number sounds to high for the revolver to have the plastic grips and not the walnut, but I have been known to be wrong too. Re-bluing?? Well that's up to you, it will look nice when finished. There are better examples on the net for not much more than $200.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
RevolverDude
Looks to be made in 1950. Good luck with your new, to you, gun. Re-blue is up to you as Majic says as I would not think there is any collector left. Dick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts