Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I purchased this OP as a shooter. It shoots great by the way. I paid very little for it as I thought it was refinished mainly because of the lacquer finish on the grips, gold wash on the markings, and the blue looked to nice to me.

I pulled the grips, they were numbered to the gun, and I stripped the finish. Cleaned them up and used Watco natural on them. They look like new. I then used some acetone on the gold wash an then cleaned the OP up. IMO it came out great. Now I am wondering if it is refinished.

From looking at the markings and the deep blue finish, has this OP been refinished. Below are some before and after pictures.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
If it is reblued, it is a good job, as the lettering and Rampant Colt remain prominent.

I cannot tell from the photos: is there pitting or scratches on the cylinder with bluing over the pitting? If yes, the gun is reblued.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
I do not believe it has been refinished. Starting with the MkIIIs, Colt's blue was very dark/black. :cool:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
With the additional information and photos, I believe the finish is not only factory original, but in excellent condition.

Nice acquisition, elliotf!

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Congrats on the find. A little elbow grease applied and it appears to have turned into a real gem. Very nice work. Must have been a great surprize has you progressed through it.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all,

A1A, thanks for the picture. The blue is a very shiney wet looking dark blue, almost like a python. That is why I thought it to be refinished. That and the stocks that were refinished.

Not that it matters much as it is the most accurate DA I own. :)

·
Premium Member
5,853 Posts
I have noticed on many 70's mkIII series guns a very high polished finish. If you put one side by side with a python, it is sometimes hard to tell any difference in polishing. Just a theory, but since colt save much labor time and cost with the mkIII, they could maybe spend a little extra time on polishing to outsell the competition.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After refinishing the grips, and taking off all the gold wash from the markings and medallions, I was almost sorry I did it, as I might have done the same in that era, but was in the Army. I can understand why someone in the late 60's early 70's liked the gold bling, as it was the Psychedelic era. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts