Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did Colt make the Official Police Heavy Barrel with a blued hammer? I'm looking at a very nice mid-1940's one for sale. It has a blued hammer, but all the other ones I have seen have a polished hammer.
Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
SIDES polished; Top,where thumb goes, BLUED!

May have been factory,but sounds more like a lazy gunsmith who just blued the whole hammer during a reblue,and did NOT polish the sides prior to reassembly.

petty good indicator of refinished pieces,just like nickled hammers/triggers on the nickled S&Ws are!

tread carefully,if seller claims original finish!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
I need a "check" on this.
I've seen a good number of PRE-WAR Colt Official Police revolvers with all blued hammers.

I do know the POST-WAR Official Police hammers were polished sides, blued "edges".

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The only "factory finished" hammers that I have seen on pre war Colt D.A.s that were NOT polished on the sides were;1) Some of the very early New Services were case hardened.2) some Official Polices that were assembled in "the war years" appeared to be "dark black",identical(?) to those used on the Commando version with what was called Parco Lubrite.

Always learned that this was one of Colt's trademarks,this nice even polishing,and have seen some guns that people overpolished and/or used a Dremel on the hammer sides!

But,it does NOT surprise me that Mr. Wheel,would need a "check" on something I mentioned!

Adios,

Bud

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

Always learned that this was one of Colt's trademarks,this nice even polishing

Bud

[/ QUOTE ] i will agree with you bud, "I" have never seen a COMMERCIAL colt d/a with anything except polished sides of the hammer.cant say on the post 69 type as i have never owned one. perhaps the judge will give his opinion.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
"But,it does NOT surprise me that Mr. Wheel,would need a "check" on something I mentioned!"

I wasn't questioning your statement.

I'm not real "up" on the pre-war Colt DA revolvers, and I've seen some over the years with fully blued hammers that the owners said were "factory original".

I was just unsure what the case is.

·
Premium Member
9,722 Posts
I will give my opinion. I do not know for sure!

All of the commercial Colt revolvers I can recall had/have polished sides on the hammers. (My oldest Colt double action revolver is a Model 1909 and it has polished hammer sides.) I looked through TBOCF and in most of the black and white pictures, the hammers appear the same tone as the blued portions. However, I THINK that is just the type of photography, and not a true indication of the color of the hammer sides. In looking at several Colt catalogs of various vintages, all the hammer sides are illustrated as "white" on blue guns.

If forced to vote, I would vote for polished hammer sides on any revolver with a blue finish.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Just to add to the confusion,

I checked my Official Police and the part of the hammer that is exposed is blue. And the part of the hammer "inside" the frame is polished.

I looked at my Diamondback for comparrison, and the top view looking down, is blue. The sides are polished. I have a Python and an old Trooper in my son's gun safe that will check latter. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'll try to get to it today. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the great info guys! I believe that my best bet would be to keep looking and pass on buying the one with the blued hammer, since there is some question about the finish being original.

Dave

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Just looking at the photo above, I would think that the hammer on it started life (and still is) a blue hammer with polished sides... There seems to be a lot of corrosion and pitting on it. I see this alot in the older M-1889 and Model 1892 revolvers... The polished sides get a lot of "patina" (read rust!)from sweaty thumbs and not being wiped down properly... A lot like the finish on the gun which appears to be faded and somewhat covered with "patina" in the photo... Just my opinion... Bob Best

·
Registered
502 Posts
Colt is well known for utilizing left over parts particularly at the end of a model run. I have 2 Colt Official Police revolvers,.38 Spec., NIB, bought in 10/72, serial #'s fall in 1967-1968 range. The numbers are 15 digits apart, both are 4", nickel plated in proper brown boxes with removeable tops. One has the proper nickel plated hammer with the top and back sides dull finished. The other has dull blue finished top and back, with polished bright sides. So, 2 nickel Colts, probably assembled the same day, identical in all ways but one has standard blue hammer, the other standard nickel plated hammer. If they were used and had several owners, you would suspect they were not original....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts