Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Shooter, What caliber? Blued or nickel? Barrel lenght? Round or square butt?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a O.P. nickle in fine condition .38 . Last date on the barrel is 1926. Was there supposed to be a serial # on the Butt? The serial number I can find is on the frame and the cylinder 565965.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I have a O.P. nickle in fine condition .38 . Last date on the barrel is 1926. Was there supposed to be a serial # on the Butt? The serial number I can find is on the frame and the cylinder 565965.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sir, 565965 is your s/n and you have a 1930 model. 1926 is the patent date. The "crane" and frame are the 2 correct locations for the s/n.

·
Registered
68 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
According to The Book of Colt Firearms, 1943 SNs start with 685000, and 1944 starts with 710000.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an OP in 32/20 numbered 6897XX, so it is a 1943 model?

Someone told me that Colt didn't make 32/20 during the war and that it was prolly a prewar gun.

I don't know, I will go by what the book says.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
According to The Book of Colt Firearms, 1943 SNs start with 685000, and 1944 starts with 710000.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an OP in 32/20 numbered 6897XX, so it is a 1943 model?

Someone told me that Colt didn't make 32/20 during the war and that it was prolly a prewar gun.

I don't know, I will go by what the book says.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree with the prewar. Your s/n indicates that you have one of the last 32/20's built.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Could even have been "assembled" after the war. Colt had to use up those 32/20 bbls. and cylinders!(although some were still for sale in the 60's surplus scene)

Frames were often serialed upon being forged/finished,then would lanquish in the parts racks until "needed". Then assembled and shipped several years after the frame made.

We have discussed this on the S&W Forum,as S&W did this too. Can really "throw you off",if you go just by the published years,especially for guns a little out of the ordinary as far as caliber,bbl. length etc.

BOTH Colt & S&W dropped the 32/20 chambering after W.W. Two. Hard to believe,how popular this caliber had been in the World War ONE era. I've read that in the 30's,the 32/20,was the leading selling caliber for Ideal/Lyman reloading tools. Of course,this includes the probably the more numerous rifles. Late 30's factory ammo tended to be a compromise for pistol and rifle,and did poorly in BOTH;1250 fps rifle and 950 fps. in most revolvers. Of course there were hi speed loads FOR RIFLES ONLY,that no doubt some morons tried in their revolvers. Might have been "OK" in a late smokeless powder SAA,but would hate to fire one in a Police Positive Special.

"Too weak for deer,too strong for edible small game" in a rifle,I think its tiny recoil in rifles made it a good farm gun,as the "smaller" members of the farmstead could use it to protect the livestock.

Only with careful,meticulous hand loading today,are 32/20 revolvers capable of their mechanical accuracy.

Bud

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took the Colt tothe rangeon Thursday--oneof my officers shot 95.3% with it. Not bad for a sixty year old weapon.I managed toget a rapid-fire group of about 2 inches with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts