Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a op I just got. It has the s/n, I think it's 833xxx, not near it at the moment, and then a "t" below that and a "s" below that. I read that the "t" may mean it was targeted at colt for poa/poi but not sure. I don't know what the "s" is. I am new to these, my first op but it was in nice shape with the box for the price.I don't know if it's a common mark? I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have a op I just got. It has the s/n, I think it's 833xxx, not near it at the moment, and then a "t" below that and a "s" below that. I read that the "t" may mean it was targeted at colt for poa/poi but not sure. I don't know what the "s" is. I am new to these, my first op but it was in nice shape with the box for the price.I don't know if it's a common mark? I appreciate any help.
"S"is probably an inspector's mark.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,467 Posts
In most cases, Colt revolvers that had special order options like targeting were stamped with a letter ABOVE the serial number.
Letters below the serial number are almost always inspectors stamps.
Usually the final inspector stamped his stamp below the serial, but for unknown reasons there are sometimes two stamps below the serial.

The only way to ever know if the gun was special ordered with targeting is to buy a Colt Archive letter.
The letter will state any special order or non-standard features.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just looked again, there is also an X. All the marks are on the s/n on the frame, the one on the crane is just the numbers. There are also diff #'s and marks on the frame under the stocks that don't correspond to the ones on the frame, I thought those would be the inspectors marks. I don't know much about these so I am just trying to learn from the pros here.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,467 Posts
You will see various unknown inspection stamps on the grip frame, usually on the left side.

There are no inspection stamps on the crane, just the serial number. On later Colt's the serial number was also stamped inside the side plate.

Colt stamped the assemblers stamp on the left rear of the trigger guard, the "VP" Verified Proof stamp on the left front of the trigger guard, and at least one stamp on the frame below the serial which is the final inspectors stamp.
What and why the extra stamps you sometimes see under the frame serial number is unknown.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.