Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've been lurking for a while now, and decided to chime in. I am hoping to tap some of the knowledge here on a recent purchase.
I just bought an Official Police MKIII, and was hoping you guys could fill me in on it. It is blued with a 4" barrel. The markings on the barrel are "Official Police MKIII" with "38 special ctg" below that. Serial number is J313XX. I've done some searching and about the only things I can find are the history of the new action and that they are not seen often.
As for a review, I haven't shot it yet, but I am very impressed with the slickness of the action. My only complaint is that the trigger pull is some what heavy, very smooth, but heavy. I picked it up at a sweet price, but an idea of the value would be nice for bragging (and expaining to the Mrs). Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I will relent to some of the more knowledgeable people here on this model as far as history goes.
I don't think the OP MKIII are very common as I have only seen one lately, but they don't seem to be too collectable either, so I would put a value of somewhere between $300-350 depending on condition.
Your gun was made in 1970.
Good luck with your new shooter.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
A set of Wolff springs for the Tropoper MkIII will fix that heavy trigger for you.
The Trooper MkIII, Lawman MkIII, and the OP MkIII are all built on the same frame.
The OP MkIII was only made from 1969 to 1975 while the other MkIII revolvers continued to 1983.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The MkIIIs in the O.P.,Metropolitan,and Lawman,always struck me as Colts futile(and late) attempt to recapture some of the law enforcement market that they dominated until after World War Two. These were rugged guns,but S&W(and Ruger shortly)were dominating. I think NYPD bought some,but it would be interesting to know of any other departments who bought THE FIXED SIGHTED MK III SERVICE REVOLVERS. Thanks, Bud

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help. I think this one was a holster gun. It has the usual wear in all the right areas. Thanks for the spring info. I was hoping there was something I could do. The pull is just too slick to be ruined by the super springs that are installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts