Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked-up a 5", Nickle, Detroit Police marked O.P. It makes a nice companion for my Michigan State Police O.P. The serial number is 62XXJ. Am I correct that this puts it in the first year of production; 1969? Also, does anyone here know anything of the history of these guns in Detroit? I am curious what replaced the O.P, and when. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hey, Mustang51
If the 'J' preceeds the digits, it would be 1969 production. The J as a suffix, however, did not appear until 1972 production. Sounds like a neat gun. Any pictures forthcoming?
Don

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the correction, it is a suffix. I'll try to get a shot of it up at some point. The nickel is hazy in a few areas,(it was obviously well-used) but it locks-up tight, and has a very smooth action. The shop caters to semi-auto folks primarily, so I got a good deal on her.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I just bought a similar gun a couple of months ago, also from a guy in Ohio. Does your gun have a number stamped on the butt? Mine does. It is 18157. I'm trying to figure out if this was a DPD internal serial number.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tom,
Yes, mine has the number as well. It is 17991. I was assuming that this was a department or "rack" number. "Detroit Police" is stamped on the backstrap. I read that they released several thousand revolvers for sale in the 90s. I'm curious how long these were out on the street, as I assume Detroit switched to autoloaders in the 80s. Perhaps officers could elect to carry a revolver until retirement?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I moved out of Detroit in '69, so I don't have any first hand recollection of the sidearms the guys carried after that. In '69, of course, they were all revolvers, and the only nickel ones I saw were on the hips of the mounted units. DPD does not have a historian, at least not one who will talk to outsiders, so I guess we'll just have to keep wondering.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep, I know someone who owns two S&W Model 10's that are stamped Detroit P.D. with a serial that is different than the weapon's. I think she said they were aquired via that 90's release of many hundred revolvers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts