Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there are some real keen eyed collectors out there so I was hoping to get some feedback on today's purchase. I'de seen this one in the LGS for a while now and made an offer of $325 today and it was accepted!
Since I'm in CA it will have to stay in jail for 10 days before I can take better pictures. I might be looking for some original grips at some point, but the pictured ones are pretty comfortable and since it is probably a shooter grade only, I might not to go to the expense. It looks to me like it hasn't been fired much and doesn't have any "flaking" but does have some wear on the barrel in a couple of spots. Looking forward to bring it home for a good bath and heading to the range! Serial # 555XXX.

ColtOfficialPolice1929.jpg ColtOfficialPolice1929 2.jpg ColtOfficialPolice1929 3.jpg ColtOfficialPolice1929 4.jpg

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
My first question is what makes you say it is a Police Positive? It appears to be an E frame Official Police from 1929. :cool:

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
If it is an Official Police that seems like a good buy to me. It would be a good buy if it was a Police Positive.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My apologies! I knew it was indeed an Official Police, but I apparently had a senior moment. :bang_wall: Correction made.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Indeed a nice find in either case. Look forward to more pictures after acquisition. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
In case I do decide to look for grips, would someone be so kind as to post a picture of period correct grips for it?
Never mind, unless the old nickel finish used the same hard rubber grips as the blued finish.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks A1A! Were the wood grips used mostly on the early nickel pieces, keeping in mind it's from 1929, and hard rubber on the blued finish?

·
The Consummate Collector
6,648 Posts
Thanks A1A! Were the wood grips used mostly on the early nickel pieces, keeping in mind it's from 1929, and hard rubber on the blued finish?
When the model changed from the Army Special Colt started supplying wood
stocks on all of the Official Police. The Army Special had the hard rubber
stocks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I got 'er home, cleaned up and to the range. It was very accurate at 25 yards and I noticed the "T" above the serial, I guess it does mean targeted! How unusual is the "T" stamping, was it fairly common on models of this era?
Anyway, here are some pictures in a cleaner condition.

IMG_3776.jpg IMG_3778.jpg IMG_3779.jpg IMG_3780.jpg IMG_3777.jpg

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
When the model changed from the Army Special Colt started supplying wood stocks on all of the Official Police.
The Army Special had the hard rubber stocks.
I think that late Army Specials, those made after about 1925, had wood stocks too .....

example; I own a Detroit PD Army Special that letters to July 1926 showing, "Type of Stocks: Checkered wood"

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
IMG_3784.jpg After seeing the backstrap, I guess original grips are definately out! The big comfortable grips serve 2 purposes!
It appears there was some sort of lettering where it was buffed out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts