Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems the official police is the low gun on the totem pole. You can pick up a real nice one for under $450 pretty easy. From what Ive seen (even on GB and other internet sites),they are the lowest priced Colt revolvers there are.
Considering they have the same frame (except for the firing pin difference as the Python),same action, well made, great steel and strong, You'd think they'd command more money.
Maybe because they are 38 special only and not 357 mag ,that makes them less desirable to some. Maybe because they are kinda plain looking,and there were lots of them made?
Strangely enough, the grips/stocks are not cheap. If you can find an excellent set of original walnut grips they will probably be listed at over 75$ maybe even $100. Youd think given the relatively low prices for the gun that the grips would be around $25 -not so.
So it seems that the best value for the money( as far as a well-made,hand fitted, accurate,Colt revolver),is the Official Police-try to get one with its own original stocks though so you dont have to pay a premium for them.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Often, 38 Police Positive Specials are also in this entry level catagory. I have introduced many to their first Colt by finding them an official police (even an army special)or sometimes a police positive special. $450? I can buy 3 or 4 a month with light holster wear for about $300 easily. And if they tell me the serial number, many are C&R. You are correct on the stocks but sometimes Official Police revolvers have python or officer model stocks on them. While its "only a 38", being a reloader and using older data or buying buffalo bore ammo puts one of these 38 specials into the 40S&W power level pretty quick. None of the new Colt shooters complain about it only being a 38, and going to walmart and buying 100 round value packs is a bonus for non-reloaders.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
The Official Police is, IMHO, underrated. Sturdy, accurate and well balanced the only issue "some" new shooters have are the fixed sight platform. Seems like the generation change got used to the adjustable or 3 dot sights of other models and the fixed sight shooting takes em a while to get the hang of. I have 2 or maybe that's 3 OP's that are great revolvers that I take out often to practice my shooting skills or lack thereof :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
I agree that $450 is at the higher end of the range for these guns. They seem to be the Colt equivalent, both in perceived desirability as well as function as the S&W 10. I only have one OP, a police trade-in, which was my first Colt revolver. Considerable wear, but very accurate and easy to shoot. I'd like to add another, nicer one, but I generally forget about them as I look for nicer/fancier revolvers. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I'll start looking for a nice pre-war one....

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Most of the OPs that I see actually are not high condition and are most often priced somewhat high for their condition IMO. Many on auction are relisted over and over, not because of unpopularity, but because the sellers have truly overpriced their low condition golden Colts. IMO at lot of junk is being offered for sale. Again, just my opinion. :cool:

·
Registered
670 Posts
quote: Strangely enough, the grips/stocks are not cheap. If you can find an excellent set of original walnut grips they will probably be listed at over 75$ maybe even $100. Youd think given the relatively low prices for the gun that the grips would be around $25 -not so.
So it seems that the best value for the money( as far as a well-made,hand fitted, accurate,Colt revolver),is the Official Police-try to get one with its own original stocks though so you dont have to pay a premium for them.

Very astute. Here is mine from 1963, paid $350, but without original stocks. Still considering condition a pretty good buy. Shown after laquering lousey wood stocks that came on it and, with fake ivory.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
I have a fondness for 4" pre war O.P.s in v.g. condition. Maybe someday I'll start looking for one.

To me the look of the O.P. is a combination of simple lines elegantly and precisely wrought by fine machining and finishing. I'm a sucker for firearms of the early 1900s-1950s

·
Registered
862 Posts
Considering they have the same frame (except for the firing pin difference as the Python),same action, well made, great steel and strong, You'd think they'd command more money.
It's a combination of quantity and the style of the revolver IMHO. From the early 20's through the 70's just about every police officer in the nation carried a official police, police positive, or their S&W counter parts so there's a ton out there. The barrel style is the other driver. Most do not like the look of the plain-jain fixed sight, exposed ejector rod, skinny pencil barrel. Most buy guns that "look cool" so they "look cool" holding or shooting it. Sad but very true. If fit, finish, and trigger pull quality were the primary drivers on firearms purchases the sales quantities of new production firearms would be much lower and revolvers like the PPS and OP would command higher prices.

Me I'm happy to see shooters at the range banging away round-after-round through their AR's and plastic fantastics as fast as they can jerk the trigger (after which being asked by the range officer if they saw that big sign on their way in that said: "NO RAPID FIRING"). Keeps the prices lower on the quality pieces for those who appreciate them.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Saw an OP at a local pawn shop. Did they make them in stainless or strictly blue and nickel. Also, did not see the prancing colt logo behind the cylinder release on the frame.Had a few scratches, but felt they could be buffed out if stainless. Wanted $300. out the door. 4" barrel with original walnut stocks. He wasn't very knowledgable about Colts, (as I concerning OP's) so would like your input before I do any follow up. Thanks !!

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
No stainless.
If the rampant pony was missing it was buffed out for refinish prep. I should say over buffed or over polished. If you take another look you will probably find the barrel stampings have some rounding on the surface and look a bit shallow, or worse, they're missing like the rampant pony is ;) Most guns of this era were blued so chances are the original factory finish was blue and not nickel.

If the refinish is well done and if the gun has no mechanical issues, which is paramount, it's worth $300 for a nice shooter. Even if you want to replace the factory checkered walnut stocks for something else the original factory stocks have value. If the stocks are original to the gun they should have the serial number penciled on the back.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
MALYSH: Thanks for the quick reply. Had my suspicions. Did not see any "stainless" on Gunbroker and thought maybe this guy was confused or ..... I am pretty much into collecting at this time and particular about what I buy. This was what I thought: "A bargain is not always a bargain". Thanks agin for the good advice.

·
Registered
528 Posts
i saw a couple at a gun show today. i really nice pre-war (im assuming based on the half-moon front sight) for about $450 i think it was...

didnt have the benjamins with me so it stayed in the guys case...

one day id like to get a finish challenged piece to chop to a snubbie like those shown...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Given my current budget situation, and the likelyhood of it changing it any time soon, I won't be buying a nice Python anytime soon. However, I was thinking that with the Python and the OP sharing the same size frame, I'd love it be able to find a mechanically sound 4" blue gun at a reasonable price, to send out to 'smith that really knows his Colts for a top notch trigger/action job. Done correctly, I figure I could wind up with a shooting experience similiar to a Python for half the cost.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I like the factory stocks better. Even though yours is post war, I saw too many Cagney and Bogart movies when I was a kid.
The first pic is how the OP was bought off GB, I added the factory stocks with the help of a gracious forum member and a few $$ :)

·
Registered
909 Posts
Mergus, you are on the right track. I have a ca. 1947 OP that was either assembled by one of the old masters or "breathed on" later by someone with talent that I will stack up against any Python. Butter smooth DA and SA. A real "sleeper". Have another well worn example that came from the factory with a 3.5 lb. SA trigger pull.Buy 'em while they're still unfashionable ;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts