Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this one not long ago, the finish is pretty worn, but mechanicaly its perfect. But the thing that makes me go Hmmm? is the round butt.

The serial # is 9004xx, which i think puts it in 1965, long after the Marshalls. Looks pretty well done if its not a factory job. Some sort of special order? Some weird frankenrevolver?

The last 3 digits of the serial # are written in pencil on the inside of the grips, so they could be the originals.

Anybody know whats up with this one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Maybe RM Vivas will chime in,but I know that the NYPD got some Colt O.P.s with the rounded butt(and some with a wider front sight,according to Massad Ayoob).

The 2" O.P. was USUALLY shipped with the rounded butt! But there could have been some shipped with a square butt.

The Marshall was made circa 1954,and its rounded butt was its "defining feature" vs. the O.P.-of course with the different bbl. marking,

Contrary to MOST published sources,Marshalls that I have seen DON'T have an "M" in the serial number.

If you are ever offered a "rare" 2 or 4 inch O.P. and the serial number range falls within that of a Marshall-beware!
Could be a rebarrelled Marshall.

Sadly,like the 3 inch Python bbls.,Colt sold numerous O.P. and Marshall barrels,and the unique rounded butt grips as "surplus". Doesn't take a Van Gogh of a gunsmith to do a conversion and then try and pass the piece of as a "scarce one".

Finally,I'd say a pre war rounded butt O.P. would be "rarer" than a post war.

Bud

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently won a bid on Gun Auction for a Official Police. It was in like new condition with s/n 860XXX made in 1958. It came with oversized Colt rubber target grips. Upon arrival, I removed the grips and found that this OP had a round butt and a hole where a lanyard ring had once been. My first thought that I had bought a Colt Marshal that had been re-barreled but soon ruled that thought out because this OP, according to the serial number, had been made three years after after the last Marshal had came off the assembly line. I have requested Colt Archives to send me a history on this OP. I have since replaced the missing landyard ring and after much searching, the original colt round butt checkered grips. Amyone have any ideas about this "oddball OP?"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Colt Round Butt Official Police

Colt supplied round butt Official Police revolvers on special order.These are fairly rare.[
Not being a Colt Marshal, I wonder how rare these Colt Official Police Round Butt Revolvers are. Mine looks like it just came out of the factory. It being made in 1958, the past owner(s) but have really babied it. It also looks unfired and no cylinder drag line/QUOTE]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts