Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference? I can't tell, although the PP looks smaller to me. I have a chance to buy a 4" PP for $299 or a 6" OP for $449. PP is in 90% shape the OP is in 95%. No box for either.

PP serial = 451419 1936?
OP serial = 590610 1934?

Do I have the dates right? Proofhouse only show the PP .38 to 1943, but the PP Special to 1978, so I'm guessing it's a Special.

Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
746 Posts
Police Positive is made on Colt's "D" frame, a small frame. The Official Police is made on Colt's "E" frame, also called their ".41" frame, because this frame could accept calibers up to .41 Long Colt. This is their medium frame. The New Service model was the large frame. up to .45 caliber.

PP was discontinued for WWII and not resumed after, as the PPS could accommodate any cartridge the PP could, and it reduced inventory.
The Police Positive Special was the PP with a 1/4" longer cylinder to accommodate the .38 Special and similar-length cartridges. The rear edge of the crane arm of the PP is about even with the front of the trigger guard bow, and there is about a 1/4" space on the PPS.
Prices asked are a skotch higher than asked around here for these guns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kevin. It said .38, so I assumed 38 Special. I'll have to go back and look again. Could it be 38 S&W then?

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
The "Police Positive" when being "38" would be .38 S&W - .38 Colt New Police Cartridge ( and not .38 Special ). The Police Positive as such, has a shorter Cylinder and Frame opening than the Police Positive Special...and, so, could not accept as long of Cartridges.

'Police Positive Special' when in .38, would tend to be in .38 Special, unless it had been for Commonwealth use, in which case, it may be found in .38-200, which is the same chambering as the .38 S&W .38 Colt New Police.

'Official Police' when in .38, would tend to be in .38 Special, though some may have been offered in .38-200/.38S&W/.38CNP for Commonwealth use.

I hope this is not confusing! It is really very simple, but can seem a little confusing if not used to it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts