Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I am NOT all that familuar with Colt's so PLEASE go easy on me. I have not owned one, but saw one that sparked my interest today. it was and officer's model in .38 special. it appeared to have a 6" barrel. The sights were different than most I have seen. They look like the special Roper style with the large front and bigger rear sight, that appeared to have a bugger adjustment screw as well. It also had a trigger shoe. The grip's are definately "ROPER" finger rest model's but had a thin white spacer added to the bottom I am NOT familuar with that either and wondered if it was made that way or and add on ? The blue looked clean and I did not get the serial number. I am going back for another look in the morning and would appreciate any info. some one would like to share. like I said I do NOT know Colt revolver's so what should I check for and how do I tell the approximate age of this revolver? Thank's to all that reply Best regards, Hammerdown
[email protected]

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
First a disclaimer - I am not at all the expert on this (or any) ilk Colt but there may be none online at the moment. You may be looking at an Officers Model Target. Beside serial which you mentioned, the last patent date on the barrel or none is a distinction among issues. Or, there are Officer's Model Special and Officer's Model Match and OMM MkIII which are so marked. Sights like you describe indicate probably one of the latter which were manufactured 1949-52, 1953-69 and 1969-70, respectively. Don't know about the stocks but they are likely aftermarket. Again, big disclaimer. You will no doubt get additional input, but perhaps not before you have another look. You might scroll down through some of these Revolver topics and look for some OM related topics that might contain relevant questions and answers for you. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
778 Posts
There were at least six issues of Officers Models. I am no expert in any case. Most had grips/stocks that were different on every issue. All had adjustable sights. The most often seen barrel length is 6".

If you look down this page you will see pics I posted a few days ago of a first issue Officers Model. This one is almost 100 years old, and is in about 97% condition.

We have been collecting them along with other revolvers for some time. The prices seem to be going up. The auction sites are charging from $400 to about $575. for a decent one. I see them relisted over, and over so they are not flying off the sites at some of those prices.

In my opinion the Roper sights, and stocks are interesting, but I really don't know if they add to the guns value that much. If the revolver is 98%, and the Roper sights, and stocks are as ordered, not changed in any way by an amateur gun smith, they would be OK.

I believe that the OM's are the sleeper of the Colt revolvers as far as collectability concerned. They evolved at time in the past when life rolled along a lot slower, and things were built with much more care than they are today.

I love the old gals, and will continue to collect them as I can at prices within reason. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Is the front sight adjustable? I know of folks questioning the OM and find out they are talking of the OMM with it's different sights.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The serial number will tell the story on age, along with the last patent date on the barrel. Here is a pic of a 2nd issue from around 1919.

Here is a 3rd issue, around 1939. The sights may be Ropers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello
I was Thirty minutes too late. The gun sold, and was a officers model special made in 1951. The grip's were indeed ROPER finger ledge but had suffered a chunk broke and missing from years past. The gun was and easy 90 % and the clerk has my name & Number if the lay away customer should default.. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Hammerdown

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Gunfish,
I have a match to your 3rd generation as mine is from around 1940 and is a factory single action. I never could find out if those sights were Ropers or Kings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts