Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out this "engraved" Cimarron 1860 Richards-Mason conversion. I'm always on the lookout for cartridge conversions, hoping to find a used Millington, Howell or Gren Colt at a decent price. I cannot imagine paying $2000 for this thing. Which is a little under what I have invested in my Open Top.

Colt 1860/ Cimarron Engraved/Ivory - No Reserve : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
You know lads, I think we've seen this guys work before. Remember that short barrelled Python on GunBroker a few months back? Wasn't that also all scratched up in the very same way?

Also, I found his WebSite. Here, have a look at the rest of this "artists" work. I see about a dozen ruined guns on his pages.

http://www.hrbarnettengraving.com/

Bud

·
Registered
223 Posts
This to me looks like an attempt at "bas relief" technique, where the background is chipped out and shapes left raised, which is the opposite of engraving as we are accustomed to.

Steel is not real forgiving for this technique, as the results show. Its not like plaster or limestone.

Ambitious, but ill advised.

Which sounds alot like my dating life.....har har har.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Maybe I missed it but did anyone take note that it's not a conversion but a '72 open top?

Makes me wonder if I should send mine out and get it dolled up ---- but I'd have to have the handle on mine stretched to be like that one.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This to me looks like an attempt at "bas relief" technique, where the background is chipped out and shapes left raised, which is the opposite of engraving as we are accustomed to.

Steel is not real forgiving for this technique, as the results show. Its not like plaster or limestone.

Ambitious, but ill advised.

Which sounds alot like my dating life.....har har har.
It looks like he did the relief background (and not very well) and then gave up on any detail work on the leaves. It makes me sick to look at, even for a $500 replica.

·
Registered
482 Posts
After going to the WEB site , I saw the All American 2000 . I thought there is NO way that an All American could get any uglier . BUT , his engraving made it look worse . It almost looks like he uses a Ball-peen hammer and a center punch to do his POCK MARKS , I mean engraving .
Some of his stock carvings look like wood someone took out of a fire pit .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.