Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From an earlier post at the S&W forum "I just had to do it update", it was mentioned that I should check out the colt forum. Bummer for me, but I ended up at a forum for a band. Imagine their suprise at my pics.

Originally posted by feralmerril:
You did well. I have several pythons and I dont belive that gun is refinished. I have also been looking at the colt forum and have read how some pythons do have that purple hue sometimes. Show it to the boys over there, and you will get some enthusiasim! I post some over there and am known as "Bogus Bill". Congradulations!

Look at "Say you will Stay a while section"

http://g.msn.com/9SE/1?http://www.livingwitheatingdisor...WPU&CE=2&CS=AWP&SR=2

Here are my pics for my new Colt ($500)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh you Bad American. I think you scared the living $#!t outta of couple of em. My chuckle for the day. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
I now understand a little better why Brits can't own guns anymore.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a bargain Python. Looks exactly like mine right down to the purple cylinder latch.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
The purple cylinder release on a factory gun, I have seen from time to time.

Unless the camera color is off, your grip medallions are Silver.
This means the grips are not Python grips, and are not original, since all Python grips of that type had Gold medallions.
Those grips were off a Colt Trooper or Officer's Model Match.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
The purple cylinder release on a factory gun, I have seen from time to time.

Unless the camera color is off, your grip medallions are Silver.
This means the grips are not Python grips, and are not original, since all Python grips of that type had Gold medallions.
Those grips were off a Colt Trooper or Officer's Model Match.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's the light and/or flash, but they are gold.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
My Python has the purple Cylinder latch just like above. I've wondered about purple parts before. Is this because these parts were finished elswhere before assembly? Made of a slightly different alloy? Different heat treatment? Leftover parts from an earlier run? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Those grip medallions are gold? I have to adjust the color on my screen, because they really look silver.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
Colt made parts like screws, cylinder releases and other parts separate from the guns, and just assembled them as needed.

Purple or red colors are the result of steels that "take" the color differently due to the type steel, the heat treating, or a bluing operation that's not in spec.

A bluing thank that produces off colors is usually a result of the tank temp being too hot or cool, or the tank chemistry being off or old.
With the process out of spec, the color is off, usually running to a reddish color, but also a purple.

A classic case of the metal causing the color to be off was the infamous early post-1964 Winchester Model 1894 rifles.
To cut costs, Winchester used a different steel for the receivers, and they came out of the bluing operation with a VERY red color.

It was so bad, that for a time Winchester had to iron plate the steel receivers, then blue the iron plating to get a good blue color.
A lot of VERY unhappy re-bluing operators discovered Winchester's "little joke" when they attempted to re-finish one of these '94's, and pulled a bright red receiver out of the tank.
The ones that REALLY hit the ceiling were the ones who while polishing the receivers, polished SOME of the unsuspected iron plating off along with the old bluing.

Their faces were no doubt a wonder to behold when they pulled a mottled blue and red receiver out of the tank.

For reasons I don't know, some gun parts tend to turn purple over a long time from aging.

In the case of purple Colt cylinder releases, I tend to suspect a bluing tank that was off-temperature or a "used up" chemical mix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had fun with it, and thanks for the invite.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts