Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 1911s

Any consensus of which - oil vs grease - for slide rails and receiver rails?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I use a dab of white moly or RIG grease. I do more assembly and disassembly than shooting so heavy use is not a factor for me.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,071 Posts
I always use grease because unlike most liquid lubricants it won't dry out, wick out, run out, or drain out from capillary action.
It's not uncommon to see holsters with the bottom stained a darker color from the lubricant being absorbed by the leather, and the gun dry of lubricant.

Grease also works very well on the sliding surfaces of the slide and frame rails.
All this is important on a carry gun where you really need a lubricant to stay put.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
If using a grease would you ever consider reel grease, yanno the stuff the fishin folks use? I've heard it's an adequate consistency for this application and know folks that put it on the knuckles of break open shotguns to lube the pivot points. Not very expensive either..... :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lubriplate 130A (supplied with the M1 Garands, and M1A rifles in the 50's, 60's, and 70's) for anything that slides, and a synthetic ... ( Weapon Shield, or Kellube ) for anything that rolls or pivots.

Lots of personal preference regarding this topic. Whatever works for ya.....

·
Registered
214 Posts
I will quote Grant Cunningham:

"I use the General Rule of Lubrication: oil for rotating parts, grease for sliding parts that carry a load."

So I use grease (Tetra Lube currently) for the rails on my guns.

The complete article in more gory detail than you probably want is at
GrantCunningham.com - Library

·
Registered
419 Posts
mine soak in Mobile 1 20-50 wt. A shake, a blowout and we're ready to go. Word of caution with wood grips. I have aluminum grips.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I will quote Grant Cunningham:

"I use the General Rule of Lubrication: oil for rotating parts, grease for sliding parts that carry a load."

So I use grease (Tetra Lube currently) for the rails on my guns.

The complete article in more gory detail than you probably want is at
GrantCunningham.com - Library
+1 ON THAT ; OVER`````````bar chain oil , sparingly , when I was poorer.(summertime only)

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Oh yeahhh...a Grease which is too heavy, too tenacious, on a 'cold' Automatic in Winter, can prevent the Slide from cycling...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use Weaponshield Oil. Not too thin, not too thick. Won't get a woody in cold weather. I particularly like how easy the gun is to clean after it's been protected with it.

It's probably nothing more than Mobile-1 @ $15 a pint, but it works for me :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
We all have our preferences. I use Wilson Combat Ultima Lube Grease on the sliding parts and Ultima Lube Oil on the rotating parts of my 1911's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts