Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Air Force armament musuem in FT Walton Beach Florida. this was on the wall with no information given.....What is it?

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Not sure...but, I would hate to have to carry it in the Field or on maneuvers anyway!

Looks like maybe it's a Belt Fed, electric or hydraulically driven type of relatively slow rate of fire Machine Gun, which for having multiple Barrels, and a slower rate of fire, might allow the Barrels to cool better for being used in rotation more or less. But thats just-a-guess...has a lot of heavy articulating parts at the Breech areas...

·
Registered
425 Posts
From the configuration I suspect it fits in a wing. There I've narrowed it down for you. :)

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
It looks like some form of a chain gun; more commonly referred to as mini guns. But the exact type I have no clue. I do know that I WANT one!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. i am sure it was wing mounted...it was with all the other Vulcan rotory cannons and such......it is a master piece!!! just wish I knew more about it.....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Alright basic research leads me to that its most likely a WW2 era wing mounted M2 that machinery is the Hydralic chargers for the guns. Other then that I have no idea what it flew on I thought it would be a A-20 Havoc as I know it had 6 guns in the nose but they were mounted diffrently then these would be though I think I saw a mount that was for this designed for strafing on it haven't found it though.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No...the lil white tag was inventory tracking numbers and dates....no info given.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
It might be one of the units that was mounted on Puff The Magic Dragon from the Vietnam era.I saw it in action once and it was unbeliveable what it could do.I'm glad it was on our side.:)D*

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
I've designed a few mechanisms and a few guns - nothing as wild as this. Here's my 15 minutes reverse engineerng
Until someone comes along knowing what it is, I see it as a wing mounted
flat version of the gatling gun. Probably Cold War experimental. EAch barrel has its own separate breech. I see this as the top view, with the ejection on the bottom (other side in this pix).
Power turns input shaft A --
Chain & sprocket B inputs power to operate breeching mechanisms C--
Ammo feed (detail missing) enters on bottom of pix, powered by sprockets D --
The Y shaped units E feed each round timed to the breeching of C --
A lot of detail left to imagination ---

·
Registered
42 Posts
BC:

The AC-130 is "Spooky", "Puff the Magic Dragon" was a C-47 (AKA DC-3) with 4 or 6 cal. 308 mijniguns firing through the (as I recall) the Port side. Had occasion for it to bail my butt out of a rather sticky situation in the 'Nam.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It may have been a prototype as opposed to an installed weapon. It looks very much like the Nordenfelt and Gardner manual machine guns of the late 19th Century. Someone may have figured out how to automate the action and feed with a belt.

Something similar was done was done with three barrels in the Ripper Automatic Cannon of the late 1940's in the USSR.

I guess that due to the success of the electrically driven Gatling gun, some designers went back to the old manual machine gun designs to see if powering them would yield some sort of advantage over the Mini-gun. I suspect that no advantage was ever found.

Buck

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
I've designed a few mechanisms and a few guns - nothing as wild as this. Here's my 15 minutes reverse engineerng
Until someone comes along knowing what it is, I see it as a wing mounted
flat version of the gatling gun. Probably Cold War experimental. EAch barrel has its own separate breech. I see this as the top view, with the ejection on the bottom (other side in this pix).
Power turns input shaft A --
Chain & sprocket B inputs power to operate breeching mechanisms C--
Ammo feed (detail missing) enters on bottom of pix, powered by sprockets D --
The Y shaped units E feed each round timed to the breeching of C --
A lot of detail left to imagination ---
It reminds me of something which could have been made by the old 'Parks' Woodworking Machine Company. I still use an old Parks 12 Inch Power Feed Thickness Planer, and, I see a lot of the same parts and ways of engineering on it, as we see here with this! Lol...

Getting it all rigged and timed and so on, all those Bevel Gears and Pinion Gears and adjusting their lash and meet and so on, little Allen Set Screws and all, eeeesh! would be a 'PITA' I recon...however fun and tedious in it's way, also.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The AC-130 is "Spooky", "Puff the Magic Dragon" was a C-47 (AKA DC-3) with 4 or 6 cal. 308 mijniguns firing through the (as I recall) the Port side. Had occasion for it to bail my butt out of a rather sticky situation in the 'Nam.
JD,

Many thanks for your service. Actually, the official name for the AC-130 was "Spectre". The official name for the AC-47 was "Spooky". AC-47's were nicknamed "The Dragon" by the North Vietnamese because of their immense and seemingly endless firepower. The grunts whose butts were saved by the gunships then nicknamed them "Puff the Magic Dragon" after the PP&M song.

BTW, there was an excellent program on all the gunships, including the AC-119 (Flying Boxcar) on the Military Channel tonight.

Buck

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
BC:

Puff actually had a trio of 7.62 gatling guns and was first a converted DC-3 then named the C-47 that had lethal firepower. If you ever heard her fly overhead the sound was an amazing whirring/whooshing that is impossible to put an accurate description to. 18,000 rounds per minute, The drawback was she wasn't very fast, something like 170 mph....Vietnam Vet 1972 MtnSpur

1 - 20 of 23 Posts