Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by my Local Gun shop this afrternoon - And low and behold he had a few more Scouts ( Somebody must have sold their collection) Anyway - Picked up this Two-tone -- Looks to be a 57' -I guess I got the Fever......

DSC01332.JPG

·
Registered
292 Posts
That's a nice "duotone" - that's what Colt called the guns with the frame left in the white. Is yours a "Q" serial number, or an "F" serial number? Since you said 1957, its probably a "Q" which were the earlier guns. Colts later made the same duotone finish gun with an "F" serial number. These guns are 22 LR only, not 22 mag. Even though a mag cylinder will fit in the frame, the barrel of the 22 LR guns is not bored for 22 mag.

Now that you have a "Q" and an "F" Frontier Scout, you'll want a "K", Frontier Scout '62 "P", "G" Peacemaker 22, "G" New Frontier 22, "L" New Frontier 22, "GS" New Frontier 22, and an all-blue "GS" New Frontier 22. Don't forget the various barrel lengths and the Buntlines. These little six guns are an addiction. You have been warned...

Before you are too far gone, get Wilkerson's book on these guns.

Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Bill! Yes I picked up the Wilkerson Book - allot of great Info. Yes mine has the Q suffix - But I have a Question - I noticed with the two-tone that when the Hammer is in the complete down position the trigger still pulls back - But with my 60 Scout the trigger will move just a little. Is this a concern?
Thanks -Ken

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ken,

No worries. With the hammer down, my Frontier Scouts all work that way. You should get four clicks as you pull the hammer all the way back.

Legend has it that the four clicks are for C O L T - nice story anyway.

Bill

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Wdkline is right.... there are so many slight variations to look for. I got hung up on the NF's and Peacemakers.. then I had to get pairs of some of the barrel lengths... and different box styles of the same type guns.. for when Colt changed box styles from the two piece lift top to the styrofoam with woodgrain sleeve. I have more of the longer barrel lengths of NF's and Peacemakers since theyre not as scarce and usually better priced. I really have only one Scout, but I never see any locally to pick up and always out of cash when the deal on the duotone or K pops up. I have gotten some really good deals from some of our other Forum members. Several hundred less for a truly one owner LNIB gun a couple of times. I think some had a real tough time parting with them... some good people out there.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Between just you and me, I took it out just once. The mirror bright nickle sights were next to impossible for me to get a good sight picture. Have many other .22`s so its in the bottom of the safe. Just wanted to know what the wife should ask for it if I croak. Thank you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Bill - But for whatever reason the Duo-tone just didn't feel right to me. Only heard three clicks - I noticed at one point if I pull hard on the trigger in the loading/halfcock position the Hammer would drop. My 60 Scout just seems much tighter functionally. Any- who I sold it today for what I paid for it. Honestly - I really only need one hand gun. I use it for sport only. I would love to collect them - But the Wifey is not to crazy about the idea. Next time I come across one I am going to spend more time looking it over before I buy. Ken

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed your thread and, not to upset your wife, I wanted to see if you are still interested in scouts? I have decided to sell my unfired Nevada commemorative edition. I have the box and coin that came with it. Let me know. Thanks. Doug
nevada.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts