Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,885 Posts
True factory SA-only guns are rare.
One question:
Does the limiting stud behind the hammer show on the outside of the frame on the right?

Most SA-only revolvers were owner modified by just removing the DA strut from the hammer. If the stud shows, that would be a pretty sure indication of a genuine factory custom action.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Excellent you crossed the Threshold to remove the Sideplate.

This is a very good skill to have, and is useful also for when wishing to clean and lube the Revolver.

Good going!

I am not up on the fine details of the SA only OMTs...let alone, how those differences may have differed over decades.

Other than to have notices in these so far Threads, that the Hammer's Sear can differ one instance to the next.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I feel good about my chances as the hammer looks like saintclairs and also the one shown in the factory pics posted by turnerriver I believe....

i also got mine fairly reasonable as the owner wasn't able to verify....but did tell me the son of the original owner bought it new like this....so the story goes....RR

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dfariswheel, is this what you are talking about.....the top gun shows an extra pin hidden under the grips.....RR

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I do not know enough about these to answer your question but either way it is a beautiful pistol and I am sure it is extremely accurate. You have a very nice revolver there

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Seems to me, at full cock the hammer should/would be almost all the way back rather than the apparent 1/8" gap below the thumbpiece & frame. Wondering if the cylinder goes to battery when cocked as shown or does the hammer have to be pulled back more & then let down? Trigger at sear point on the hammer looks like it would take quite a bit of pull-off (creep?)to release.

Would a factory original SA normally go to battery in the hammer position shown?

Please bear with me on this because I work on New Services only and my comments are based on that & aware there may be differences.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Seems to me, at full cock the hammer should/would be almost all the way back rather than the apparent 1/8" gap below the thumbpiece & frame. Wondering if the cylinder goes to battery when cocked as shown or does the hammer have to be pulled back more & then let down? Trigger at sear point on the hammer looks like it would take quite a bit of pull-off (creep?)to release.

Would a factory original SA normally go to battery in the hammer position shown?

Please bear with me on this because I work on New Services only and my comments are based on that & aware there may be differences.

I was thinking the same thing.

Too, the 'Limiting Stud' is new to me...and I suppose it could be placed where-ever they had wanted it, but, in this example, it does seem to limit the Hammer some little ways shy of Full Cock, at least, at a glance anyway.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,885 Posts
The limiting stud is a definite indication of a true Colt factory conversion. As said, most SA-only Colt's you see were owner done by simply removing the DA strut from the hammer.

The stud and modified hammer converts the gun not only to SA-only, it also converts it to a short action. This shorter hammer fall increased lock time which is an aid in precision target shooting.
The first standard production Colt revolver with a short action was the Colt Mark V.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John, I used my air powered 1/4" SNAP ON IMPACT GUN.....what else would any self respecting amateur gunsmith use :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Truthfully I am a tool snob....I always buy the over priced SNAP ON and MAC TOOLS.....I hate cheap tools....

I have the same taste for tools that you appear to have for guns :cool: :cool: :cool: RR.

·
Premium Member
21,036 Posts
radicalrod: The insides of your SA OMM look the same as mine (pictured in earlier thread). The serial numbers are also close. In my recent reading on these guns, there were different factory modifications depending on production date. Of course, many OMM's were sent back to Colt to be modified to SA. These guns will not letter as SA's..
In addition, some were original OMM's modified by non-factory gunsmiths.
My bet is that your gun (and mine) will letter as factory original SA's. I requested my Colt letter about two weeks ago, so it should be her in 6 months or so.
I will post the results when I receive the letter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts