Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a recent thread it was mentioned that the 4" Anaconda in 45 LC was rare.

Interestingly enough, on our way to a gun show we stopped by one of the gun stores along the way. What did they have under the display case? You guessed it, a 45LC Anaconda with 4" barrel!

So before I decide to take the plunge, I ask of those who know, just how rare is the Annaconda 45LC in 4"? And how much of a price bump over the 6" might be reasonable?

I saw 2 6" 45LC Anacondas today in my travels. One had an asking price of $550 and the other asking $750. Condition was not all the different between the two. I made no offers on either.

If indeed you feel the 4" 45LC is rare (scarce?) what value might you place on such a gun in like new condition?

Is anyone aware that one could obtain a 4" barrel from Colt and have it mated to an existing gun? And just how likely might the one I saw be an original 4" as opposed to a made up 4"?

I might add that I looked over this (4") gun pretty close, especially because of the talk in the previous thread. Outside of a little hand polishing to tame the brushed stainless, this thing appeared bone stock.

So ante up those opinions fast as I have to call the gun store back tomorrow if I want them to hold on to it for me.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
WS23;Lane Pearce,a gun writer who's knowledge I respect,in one of his articles for in "Handloader",installed a .44 Mag Cylinder,that had been properly chambered,with .452 throats and compared the accuracy the "stock"cylinder(.457) that came on HIS 4" Anaconda. HE is the one,who states how rare the 4"is(and I think I've seen it in "Blue Book".) Your comment on "swapping" barrels,is valid,especially of there is no box with the gun,and IMO,while a factory letter.would verify it,do you want to spend that extra $$? DOES the dealer keep stressing the "rarity" of the 4" bbl???,a sign that he's done his "homework" or might've made a barrel change? Hopefully,you havent been stressing the 4" scarcity in your side of the conversation. Price wise,I dunno! I do NOT like Anacondas,and consider them 40 years too late ,and with only stainless,and the "non Python,or leaf spring action",they were a sad attempt to bring out a big bore revolver,but that is ONLY because I shoot & collect the pre-war New Service Colts. Tread easy on the price,and good luck,Bud

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bud, thanks. The dealer made no reference to the 4" scarcity in 45LC. I kept that close to the vest as well. I only indicated that I was most interested in a short barrel (4") for ease of packability. That was the truth, but only a half truth. I feel quite confident that the dealer knows nothing more than it is a gun on consignment and a way for his shop to make a buck. I don't really think he knows the difference between a Sam Colt and a Dodge Colt!

The appeal of this particular gun for me is in the scarcity. I have come to a point in my collecting that having something just a little different is easier than trying to collect multiple variations.

I certainly understand the tenuous relationship between scarcity and value, where one does not necessarily mean the other. I will tread lightly on the price. Search of the auction sites for the past 90 days have pretty much validated your (Lanes) claim of the 4" scarcity.

[This message has been edited by WS23 (edited 08-14-2004).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I first heard of the 4" model in the late 90's. When they came out I have no idea, but rumor has it as only being produced a few years as even the 4" .44mag wasn't a really great seller. I have been looking for a used one to go with my 6 incher since I heard of it, but haven't seen one locally or on the net.
I say buy it if the price is reasonable. If you don't want it we could possibly make a deal and I'll take it off your hands.

·
Registered
41 Posts
have only seen 1 4" Ancaconda back in the mid 90s and didn't like the grip.

Only seen one 6" ever and that was last month locally and they wanted $850.00. Didn't buy it. It was gone the next day.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Condition like new. If it was much higher I'd say no way. If it was much lower it would be a done deal.

It's priced close enough to make you think twice about it, but not close enough to jump on it. Isn't that the way it goes sometimes?

majic, let me figure out what I am going to do 1st, after which I will consider your proposition.

I'm still on the fence...........

[This message has been edited by WS23 (edited 08-30-2004).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts