Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had an old 1919 Police Positive .38 special. No problem getting ammo for a .38 Special.
But ... I just traded it for another old Colt:
a 'new' Police Positive .38

I am ignorant of the difference between a .38 and a "38" special.
Thanks to the DOB info found here it looks to be from 1928.
The serial number is 181xxx... but stamped on the butt is "No. 182".

It also has a set of initials obviously done with a set of garage punches,
but the 'No. 182' was professionally done.

Sorry no picture yet;
it is in reasonable shape for it's age and the price I paid for it.

I bought the first one because it was the same frame as my grandad's old rat gun
and as a result of numerous forays to the chicken house to reduce rodents, I can reload it by touch in the dark without any problems :)
The new one has the same frame, I believe, but a bit wider grip. It has (what is probably plastic) staghorn on it... and actually fits my hand better.

HOWEVER when I went to buy ammo
I realized that there are no boxes that just say .38. Sigh. A fly in the ointment. Foiled again. Internet searches are producing a lot of conflicting information.

Will anyone out there take pity on a dumb newb and offer counsel? Please?
and Thank you, too.
saltxs

·
Registered
862 Posts
Your police positive .38 chambers the colt new police cartridge. The colt NP is the same as the S&W 38. Historically the only difference between the two rounds is that the S&W had a round tipped bullet while the colt NP had a flat tipped one. Other than that they are the same and totally interchangable.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Try www.ammoseek.com and search for the S&W .38 stated above. There are a couple of sources - I believe one is Bass Pro.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhhhh. The light begins to dawn. There truly is 'no fool like an old fool'.:eek: No wonder the price was so reasonable. The ammo for it is about twice as expensive as what I was using.
Ouch. Sure is a nice gun though. I am looking froward to getting it out to the range anyway. Just not as much.
(Sigh again.)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Could be worse, it could be a .41 LC, and go for more than $70 a box. The stamp on the butt gives it a bit of history, though, and, as kevin hines said, it could be an old police revolver. You might be able to get a letter from Colt (for a price, I don't know how much) telling you which company or department it was delivered to. I've got an old New Orleans PD Army Special I plan to provenance when I get a few bills paid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds like a good idea. Got a few bills to pay, myself, but a letter of provenance would be a fine thing to add to this piece's file.

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
Whenever you come across a small out of the way gun shop, or any liquor/sporting/fishing place, check and see if they have .38 S&W ammo. And try gunshows, too. Here's the same old pic I always pull out when the subject arises. My Colt P.P. in .38 S&W with a box of the Colt New Police .38 which is the same thing but a flat point as already mentioned. And on the bottom here is a P.P. .38 S&W with the fatter butt that sounds just like yours. And these fake stags feel excellent, too.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Mdc

That is the Metropolitian District Commission in Boston MA. They are the city's park police. Google them for more info.

Charles

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
"The MDC appears to be now defunct..."

AMC Concord police cruisers are a sure sign of an agency in trouble. Thanks for the link, RamblerReb.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Could be worse, it could be a .41 LC, and go for more than $70 a box. The stamp on the butt gives it a bit of history, though, and, as kevin hines said, it could be an old police revolver. You might be able to get a letter from Colt (for a price, I don't know how much) telling you which company or department it was delivered to. I've got an old New Orleans PD Army Special I plan to provenance when I get a few bills paid.
'Round a C-note, IIRC.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.